Surgitel Loupes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mrxle3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are a few threads discussing loupes already in existence, but I wanted to get a bit more current feedback from anyone who uses Surgitel. I plan on getting flip-downs, but feedback on TTL's would be nice as well. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I went with surgitel flip ups too (haven't received them yet). I was sold on the neck angle benefit of flip ups, because that's the main thing I'm trying to protect with loupes. Aside from that, I prefer TTL for almost every characteristic: tailor made to you, so no hinges loosening or adjustments necessary when you throw them on ... and even though the surgitel reps really glaze over the importance of the field of view, the TTL range is pretty great.

I'm glad I have 45 days to make a change.

On a side note ... the rep told me they'd need about a week to turn around my loupes and it's been about 3 now (and two practicals). Not too impressed by that.

dont waste your time with loupes, you dont need them

Members don't see this ad :)

Like a lot of other dental schools, my school requires that every student buys one. I don't see how they are a "waste" considering that they do help with your posture.

<deep breath....and GO> as a D1 we were forced into buying surgitel loupes because they came as part of our instrument it and, well, we really didnt know any better. as a current D4, i can say with confidence that the same pair of loupes i got waaay back in my first year now do a great job of holding up a hook on the left side of my locker in a fairly permanent manner.

flip-ups, particulary surgitel, blow monkey nards. (is that even permissible!?) field of vision, neck angle, ease of adjustment, blah, blah, blah....thhppppp! the real key for my dissatisfaction was all the freaking moving parts. all the little teensy, weensy freaking screws. a year and a half of pre-clinical labs, and my loupes were sliding down the track on the (heavy) frame and literally tipping forward off the bridge of my nose. sure, the rep came by the school every few weeks to tighten and tweak all the loose bits but, seriously, if the rep has to come fix things that often, how well made is the initial product? exactly.

do i wear loupes? you bet! i love being able to finish the margins of a composite or bevel a crown prep without having to invade more of my patients personal space than i already am...but for my (own) money, i bought a pair of TTL from designs for vision. custom made for my exact eyes and comfortable working length, tons lighter than my old flip-ups, both due to reduced lens bulk and titanium frames. best of all, there are NO moving parts. no flip-up apparatus to maintain, no interpupillary distance to adjust everytime you take them off and put them back on. nothing but put them on and get to work. the same feel everytime, the same working distance, perfectly fitted to me.

<whew> so, in conclusion, if you have choice, seriously consider TTLs. see if you can get to a dental show and try on a bunch of different vendors. orascoptic and DFV are the major players, but there are several oter folks out there. i would stick with 2.5x to start with and stick with it...there is a learning curve to using loupes. my opinions come free of charge if you have any other questions...

Like a lot of other dental schools, my school requires that every student buys one. I don't see how they are a "waste" considering that they do help with your posture.

youll understand 4th year

I've been waiting for mine for 4 WEEKS!!

I'm seriously considering TTLs over flip ups. I like the field of view much better, and how much lighter and simpler they are.

I'm seriously considering TTLs over flip ups. I like the field of view much better, and how much lighter and simpler they are.

i own the traditional, old person looking TTL loupes from DFV and i love them. they are not the lightest pair of loupes you can buy, but i know that they are going to last for 15 years if i take care of them. i know of many dentists that have been using the same pair for over 20 years (short of replacing some hinges and other cheap parts). DFV makes lighter titanium frames, but i was told that they are harder to fix if something breaks because those frames are not made by DFV. i dont find not having the ability to flip up the lenses to be annoying, but i can see how some may. i just throw mine on and they are ready to go, every time.

What does everyone think of orascoptic ttl? Thats what I'm leaning towards.

What does everyone think of orascoptic ttl? Thats what I'm leaning towards.

They look good, but when I tried them on, they seemed to fall off my face! Perhaps the samples were old and the nose and ear holder things bent outta shape? By the way who are you dentistdevil? okies, later!

I'm fourth year and I can't live without my loupes. One week, I was having them repaired (totally my fault) and I couldn't see for the life of me, not to mention my back being sore by the end of the week. I love walking around the clinic and seeing all the Psiyung's practically making out with their patients b/c they can't see anything when they're in their proper working distance. If you think I'm ****ting you, walk around your clinic (fixed or operative) and check out the postures of those using loupes and those that aren't. I don't think their backs can take that for too long.

I have Zeiss flip up loupes and they have served me well. They have a new line which is really nice (they have a new Oakley looking frame where you can interchange the magnification). A lot of places have trial periods so see if they work for you. It really is worth the investment in my opinion and get them early so you can get used to them before you get into the clinic.

if anyone owns a pair of SandyGrendel loupes, let me know what you think of them. it just seems like they have put a little more thought into the design of the frame. i think the other companies are just putting the loupes on a normal pair of eyeglasses, hence the problem of them sliding of your nose.

I have a pair of surgitel flip-ups that I won't use anymore in residency if anyone is looking to save some money. They aren't oakley frames or anything awesome like that, you won't be the hottest in the clinic, but they work. And I have never dropped them. I don't have my name of the side either. PM me if interested.

flip-ups, particulary surgitel, blow monkey nards. (is that even permissible!?) field of vision, neck angle, ease of adjustment, blah, blah, blah....thhppppp! the real key for my dissatisfaction was all the freaking moving parts. all the little teensy, weensy freaking screws.

Someone isn't very mechanically savvy ;)

But I do have a question for you. Can you still see the patient's entire mouth with a flip up 2.5x? Or will you only be able to see the entire mouth with a wider field of vision like with the TTL?

Wider vision sounds nice but if I can see my patient's chest and nose hairs then is it all that great?

Hi all,

When I was in school and residencies, it was the requirement to buy it. I bought it but only used occasionally since I do not want to depend on it. I had noticed that some students are so dependent on them that without them they cannot do a procedure properly even with a simple prep such as anterior PFMs. I think that the loupes are NOT required in order to do excellent dentistry. Any thoughts? DP

Someone isn't very mechanically savvy ;)

But I do have a question for you. Can you still see the patient's entire mouth with a flip up 2.5x? Or will you only be able to see the entire mouth with a wider field of vision like with the TTL?

Wider vision sounds nice but if I can see my patient's chest and nose hairs then is it all that great?

come now, let's not pretend that i could have gotten to my last year of dental school without at least being able to fake mechanical savviness.:rolleyes: seriously, though, that was meant more as a comment on having to take a break during a procedure to tighten a slipping screw or what have you. saying to your patient, "'scuse me while i go fix my glasses..." doesnt exactly bring about a surge of confidence in your ability to repair their jacked up teefs.

the field of vision relates more to the consistency in my TTLs vs. flip-ups, which have an adjustable interpupillary distance. i hated the fact that i had to spend time re-adjusting my flip-ups everytime i so much as let them hang off my neck while i got a prep checked in pre-clinicals. with my TTLs, the fit and feel is exactly the same everytime and that is reason enough to switch. (for me at least)

i know as you increase in magnification the field of vision gets narrower, but some maufacturers have an expanded field option to compensate for that. and really, why wouldnt you want to see all the way to someone's basement membrane? you could diagnose the hell out of some cicatricial pemphigoid and you cant put a price on that...

way to try to change the subject DP...you know, ive seen a bunch of my classmates using these new-fangled air turbine handpieces and i think they have become too dependant on the speed with which they can cut a prep. ill stick with my belt-driven model and making that molar smoke, cause that the way it has always been done...oyvee...

Surgitel is by far the WORST company for loupes - they do not honor or repair anything that breaks (and believe me, it will). Avoid them at all costs. I've been in practicing for 1 year and have had many issues with my loupes from headstrap falling off, loupe light multiple times would break, and they have charged me for every little item and repair. They tried to charge me $195 for a part that I know only costed $95 (from previous experience) and when I brought it up to them they quickly changed the amount to $95. There is only 1 guy Steve that works in the repair department and there is no one else you can talk to about your repair (and he will rip you off). So if you want to buy surgitel just know that it will cost you a LOT in the long run. Biggest mistake I made was buying their loupes. Designs for vision I know lasts very long and they honor repairs

Surgitel is by far the WORST company for loupes - they do not honor or repair anything that breaks (and believe me, it will). Avoid them at all costs. I've been in practicing for 1 year and have had many issues with my loupes from headstrap falling off, loupe light multiple times would break, and they have charged me for every little item and repair. They tried to charge me $195 for a part that I know only costed $95 (from previous experience) and when I brought it up to them they quickly changed the amount to $95. There is only 1 guy Steve that works in the repair department and there is no one else you can talk to about your repair (and he will rip you off). So if you want to buy surgitel just know that it will cost you a LOT in the long run. Biggest mistake I made was buying their loupes. Designs for vision I know lasts very long and they honor repairs
Must have been a fluke because I've had their loupes for 4 years now and never had a problem with them or the company. I'm actually surprised they haven't broken or anything either because as my first pair of loupes, I've been pretty rough with them and they are still holding up. My dad actually had a similar experience as you, but with his Designs for Vision loupes.

I'm having a hard time deciding between the Orascoptic HDL 3.0 and the 3.5 HDL prisms. I feel like the prisms give me so much more detail, but I don't like the weight. Also there is a $400 difference. I'm going with to lumadent light to pair with my loupes.