Surprise, you have an interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tankitytank

Array
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I received a call this morning, didn't recognize the number so naturally I went back to sleep. :sleep: It turned out to be from Penn State asking if I could come for an interview this Friday.

It's a surprising response from a school that I'd given up my hopes on, since I'm an NY resident and PSU matriculates over 40% in-state applicants. I realize it's an extremely late interview for a slim chance at a rolling state school but every school I've seen so far has been amazing, so I'm going.

But I still wonder what kind of signal they are sending. Is there a pile for applicants that says "call for a last-minute interview if somebody cancels"? Are applicants who get called for an last-minute interview regarded the same way as everybody else? Do they give out free chocolate at Hershey? :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Tankitytank
So I received a call this morning, didn't recognize the number so naturally I went back to sleep. :sleep: It turned out to be from Penn State asking if I could come for an interview this Friday.

It's a surprising response from a school that I'd given up my hopes on, since I'm an NY resident and PSU matriculates over 40% in-state applicants. I realize it's an extremely late interview for a slim chance at a rolling state school but every school I've seen so far has been amazing, so I'm going.

But I still wonder what kind of signal they are sending. Is there a pile for applicants that says "call for a last-minute interview if somebody cancels"? Are applicants who get called for an last-minute interview regarded the same way as everybody else? Do they give out free chocolate at Hershey? :love:

Who cares. Just go and enjoy. Go for the interview, stay for the chocolate.

mmm, chocolate.

Go to the Hershey "Chocolate World" or whatever they call the factory's visitor center. There is a cute and quick ride about how they make chocolate and they give you free chocolate! Overall, I had a nice time at Penn State and would recommend at least giving it a shot unless you are financially strapped.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I figured somebody out there must be wondering the same thing as me. Maybe it's still too early in the morning to be thinking about medical school. Thanks for the tip about "Chocolate World", I'll definitely check it out :D

OK, now, this worries me: how often is it that medical schools call and say: you have an interview? I've changed my phone number very recently...

The same thing happened to be with PSU, except my interview was much earlier. They called the first week of November and asked me to interview the following Wednesday. I think it may be common practice for them to do this. I hate to burst your bubble, but good luck anyway.

Originally posted by mosoriire
OK, now, this worries me: how often is it that medical schools call and say: you have an interview? I've changed my phone number very recently...

You should just change your number on AMCAS and resubmit, they download the new info and replace the old. I've done with with mailing address and email address so far and it seems to work fine so long as its an AMCAS school of course.

Originally posted by mosoriire

hmm obviously its too late to tell you that you should have done that after the application cycle...

but yeah ucla scheduled my interview over the phone as well.

resubmit or contact the schools directly and let them know of the change if you want them to get it faster.

Thanks! Will do immediately...

Originally posted by ZekeMD
The same thing happened to be with PSU, except my interview was much earlier. They called the first week of November and asked me to interview the following Wednesday. I think it may be common practice for them to do this. I hate to burst your bubble, but good luck anyway.

That certainly clears things up, thanks for the response!