Answering "Do you have any other interviews?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

248pinkalicious

Reaction score
I have been super fortunate to get a fair number of interviews, but in interviews I am currently being asked "Is this your first interview?" or "Do you have any other interviews?" How can I answer this diplomatically without exposing all of my cards so to speak.

@LizzyM @Goro @wysdoc

Members don't see this ad.

I have been super fortunate to get a fair number of interviews, but in interviews I am currently being asked "Is this your first interview?" or "Do you have any other interviews?" How can I answer this diplomatically without exposing all of my cards so to speak.

@LizzyM @Goro @wysdoc
This is your choice on how to answer it.
The most vague would be to say “I’m happy to have had several, but I would love to put all my attention on your school today.” This might head off their curiosity and the next question “well which schools?”

I’m always puzzled though why applicants worry about this though. Me, I’d be proud and validated that I had several. The school is not going to be jealous that you interviewed with other schools.
If they push and insist just quickly rattle off the names.

Reactions: 1 user
At my school, we are not permitted to ask this question and this is reinforced every year when we have an annual training session for interviewers.
I like @wysdoc 's advice and I might say, "I'm surprised to hear you ask that; for now, I'm totally focused on [school name] and all it has to offer a student like me."

I think that those who ask are trying to size up whether you are going to go elsewhere, or, if you are on the cusp, if they can comfort themselves knowing that you are likely to get it elsewhere. On the other hand, if you have no other interviews, maybe there is something wrong with you that they've missed or you will be a grateful candidate (and maybe even a generous alumnus) for having been offered a spot when no one else wanted you. This is all speculation as we know at my school that we are looking at the top 2% of candidates and all of them have multiple interview invites.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

@LizzyM @Goro @wysdoc
I'm more in line of the answer of "I've had a couple" or, "I have X number scheduled".

Medical schools are not like jealous prom dates.

Reactions: 1 users
I also want to say that my choice of words "I'm happy to" was deliberate.
Your success in the application cycle was not being "lucky, fortunate, or blessed" but a result of your hard work to get here.
Don't forget that, for your own interior mindset.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
I also want to say that my choice of words "I'm happy to" was deliberate.
Your success in the application cycle was not being "lucky, fortunate, or blessed" but a result of your hard work to get here.
Don't forget that, for your own interior mindset.
thank you @wysdoc that means alot.

Reactions: 1 user
I have other interviews scheduled but I am really excited about your school for a number of reasons. Elaborate on those reasons.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users