Surprised by the application experience: Why didn't you get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaudung

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Of the seven schools I applied to, I have heard two rejections. I am surprised and I wanted to get some feedback as to why I was rejected. I feel fortunate that I have received an interviews but I'm dismayed by the response to my application.

I took the MCAT in August and placed in the upper 90th percentile, though I received a low grade on the writing section. I was an engineer in a well-respected program and graduated in near the top of my class. I worked as an engineer and left to pursue medicine.

To gain clinical exposure and to show that my intent is earnest, I volunteered for the past year visiting patients in a rehab hospital as well as shadowing/free clinic work. I have TAed for several years, completed an MS, an undergraduate biomedical researcher, and worked as a laboratory technician in pathology (my current job). I'm not listing these qualifications simply for the sake of listing them; I want others to have this information so that I will receive informed feedback.

Since I spent the entire summer re-learning the basic science I would need to know for the MCAT and spent the time after juggling work/pre-reqs/volunteering, I applied very late. I completed my primary in October and my secondaries mid-December. Is this the reason my inbox isn't overflowing with interview requests? Or is it due to some flaw in my application (a poor writing score? motivation to become a doctor unconvincing?) Does anyone else find themselves in a similar situation?

Members don't see this ad.

I should also say that I'm expecting a few more rejections soon as well. It's sort of late to be expecting anything else.

Sending your secondaries in December is very late. I'd blame your lack of acceptances on that. But did you apply to any relative "safety schools"? Since you submitted your primary on 10/15...it would have been wise to apply to more than 7 schools, with a large number of lower tier ones mixed in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied very late. I completed my primary on Oct 15 and my secondaries near mid-December. Is this the reason my inbox isn't overflowing with interview requests?

Probably. If you don't get in this year, reapply super early next year. Make sure you apply broadly and to many schools as well. You seem like you have the rest of your application together. I don't think that an M on your writing would kill you, although it doesn't really help. If your PS is great, and you did well on the VR section of the MCAT, I don't see where the writing score would be the app-killer. It's probably that you didn't even finish secondaries until mid-December. Half of the interview season is over by then, not to mention that adcoms probably didn't even look at your file until they got back from the winter break (mid-January).

You have to realize that the odds ratio of applications to acceptances is so tremendously low -- even for a great candidate who applied early -- and the nature of the process these days necessitates far more than 7 applications. It sounds like you're in relatively good shape, so next time around plan on applying to at least twice as many schools and doing it at least two months earlier.

You applied on the last possible day. What else could you expect? Many schools have sent out most of their interview spots by December, and some have even sent out most of their acceptances. Out of thousands of applications, the last handful tends to get thrown out without much of a look - even at the non-rolling schools.

Well, it's farily easy to understand why I (as of yet) have not gotten in.
It's a three letter acronym that rhymes with "Freebie Day."

As far as you, however, we share a lot of the same background - fairly high MCAT scores, a graduate degree, and experience in health care. I also took the MCAT this last august, and many of my applications were late in the cycle. My advice to you, if you plan to apply for the next year, is the same as everyone else. Apply early, and apply broadly. Don't be afraid to apply to a "directional state" school. Even the creme da le creme of applicants apply to more than 7 schools.

I also applied to osteopathic schools, and have 2 interviews pending, although that might not be your cup of tea. As far as allopathic schools are concerned, I have had but 1 interview, and am on the waitlist there.

Thanks for the advice duders. Yeah I have 2 backup schools. But if I only get into those schools, and if it is indeed the case that it is because I applied late that I did not get into better schools, I will have to decide if I want to try to get into a better school/top choice next year. I have to ask myself if it's worth it to delay things another year.

Hey kaudung,

Just want to know what is your ethnicity. I applied to only 6 US med schools on Octr 14. Sent in all my secondaries by mid-late December and have received 4 interview invites. I believe this may be in part due to my minority status. Are you a minority and a US resident. Check out my MD app.

Thanks for the advice duders. Yeah I have 2 backup schools. But if I only get into those schools, and if it is indeed the case that it is because I applied late that I did not get into better schools, I will have to decide if I want to try to get into a better school/top choice next year. I have to ask myself if it's worth it to delay things another year.

Bird in the hand, my friend, bird in the hand. With nearly 40,000 applicants for 17,000 slots, turning down an acceptance is crazy talk.

I think if you get an interview at one of your safety schools, and you like the school, you should go. Don't screw around for another year.

If you don't get in this year, apply early next year. It will make a huge difference. Why apply so late- it's just shooting yourself in the foot after all that hard work?

Good luck on an acceptance this year!

SF

Brown and Northwestern

I applied very late.

I completed my primary on Oct 15 and my secondaries near mid-December.

Those are probably the reasons. Applying late and Applying to too few schools is usually the most poignant regret I hear students talk about. Students with less forgiving numbers, such as myself, have always been told to apply early, and apply broadly to many schools- this advice has served well in the end for me. I cannot imagine this to be any different for supercompetitive applicants such as yourself. If the majority of your short list of schools that you applied to also happened to be in the top 20 bracket such as the abovementioned schools, your odds significantly diminsh. Add a few more safety/competitive schools in your mix and you should find yourself with a seat in their class next year, if you do not get in this year. Also I would not delay my application and forgo an acceptance to a backup school to try again at a better school given that Ive heard stories of students not getting in teh following year after adcoms find out that applicants had given up a perfectly good acceptance- as in, the ends justify the means. An MD is an MD whever you go, that is. Anyhow, Good luck!

My understanding, coming from info gleaned on this site, is that if you get an acceptance and turn it down to apply next year to 'better' schools then you'll have a slim-to-none chance of getting in during reapplication. The rationale being that offers of acceptance are carefully chosen and you've turned down the 'golden ticket'. Adcoms may wonder why they should give you a 2nd chance.

just my $.02.

Members don't see this ad :)

you would have to make a very compelling case for forgoing acceptance to medical school in order to apply again. i'm not even sure what this would be.

med school's hard to get into. the number of qualified applicants far exceeds available spots. best of luck to you

Bird in the hand, my friend, bird in the hand. With nearly 40,000 applicants for 17,000 slots, turning down an acceptance is crazy talk.

This is the credo of all applicants.
Get accepted = matriculate.
Do not pass Go, do not collect $200, do not wait for next year's cycle and "what-if's."

I agree with everyone on this subject. I took the MCAT in August and even though I felt pretty confident with my scores, I decided to wait until the next application cycle. I knew that applying late would put me at the bottom whereas applying early would put me in the top. Then the next year, I applied to 28 programs super early because I'm a Californian resident. So 7 programs, and very good programs at that, seems like a stretch.

Hey kaudung,

Just want to know what is your ethnicity. I applied to only 6 US med schools on Octr 14. Sent in all my secondaries by mid-late December and have received 4 interview invites. I believe this may be in part due to my minority status. Are you a minority and a US resident. Check out my MD app.

Implying that minorities can afford to turn in their applications late and still have a good shot at getting an interview or an acceptance is baseless and grossly misinformed in my humble opinion.

I know a great deal of minorities with very decent stats who applied early but, like most others, haven't heard anything.

Of the seven schools I applied to, I have heard two rejections. This week I learned that Brown and Northwestern would not be even inviting me for an interview. I am surprised and I wanted to get some feedback as to why I was rejected. I feel fortunate that I have received an interviews but I'm dismayed by the response to my application.

I took the MCAT in August and placed in the upper 90th percentile, though I received an M on the writing section. I was a computer + biomedical engineer in a well-respected program and graduated in near the top of my class. I worked in CA for about 1/2 a year and left to pursue medicine.

To gain clinical exposure and to show that my intent is earnest, I volunteered for the past year visiting patients in a rehab hospital as well as shadowing/organizing a health fair/starting a book drive at a free clinic. I also have volunteered as a tutor, EMS, and usher. I have TAed for 2.5 years, completed an MS thesis, an undergraduate neuroscience project, and worked as a laboratory technician in pathology (my current job). I'm not listing these qualifications simply for the sake of listing them; I want others to have this information so that I will receive informed feedback.

Since I spent the entire summer re-learning the basic science I would need to know for the MCAT and spent the time after juggling work/pre-reqs/volunteering, I applied very late. I completed my primary on Oct 15 and my secondaries near mid-December. Is this the reason my inbox isn't overflowing with interview requests? Or is it due to some flaw in my application (a poor writing score? motivation to become a doctor unconvincing?) Does anyone else find themselves in a similar situation?

You've written a lot but have given very few specifics. What is your MCAT score? 32? 35? 39? What was your GPA and undergrad school? What med schools did you apply to?

Even without that info, the fact that you only applied to 7 schools and applied VERY late pretty much explains the lack of interviews/acceptances.

I feel that. applying early is key . my problem is ( after talking to a few adcoms/premed advisors) was a lack of dedication to the practice of medicine. i didn't have enough of a drive to go into the field , or at least I wasn't able to show it as well as I would have liked. either way ,I'm gonna get those up again this year, ( if i have to ) and reapply super early.

this was the advice i was given.

cheers

although your app sounds like it was great, there might not have been that "wow" factor in it that some people have. as a result, your late app (the M likely had no significance) didn't make it past the screens. every year there are people with phenomenal stats (see dopaminesurge) who don't get in, often do to late applications at too few schools. 7 schools might have been fine if your app was in in July, but you needed to apply to 20 schools with an app as late as yours, considering what you know know about this process. hopefully, you'll get in this round so you don't have to suffer another year of application purgatory. otherwise, bump up your clinical experiences before you apply again, make sure your PS is perfect and genuine, and make sure that your LOR writers are saying nothing but praises about you.

I've actually been thinking about this deferment issue too. For me, the issue is not getting into a "better" school, it's getting into a cheaper school (e.g., state school). *If* it came down to it, I'd go anywhere. However, for someone who wants to go into family practice and work with the uninsured, graduating with around 300K in student loans is an issue--a big issue.

It's not ingratitude, it's just simple pragmatism. Would I go 300K into debt to become a doctor? Yes, but I'd much rather do it only as a last resort (i.e., after having one more shot at my state schools). So in this case, defering for a year to reapply, if that's actually possible, just seems to make sense. Is withdrawing from this cycle the only way to go?

Any mild non-abusive thoughts on the matter? :confused:

Good point. I think that's what I'm afraid is missing. Am I just too conventional? I want to ask the committees of those schools who rejected me what it was in my application, if anything, that they would like to see improved.

Has anyone had success in seeking counseling from adcoms after a rejection? Have you been able to ask committees if you would have had a better chance if you had applied early or if you needed extra coursework or if your writing score was alarmingly low? Have you been able to get a peep out of them? Esp. with respect to Northwestern and Brown.

I don't understand the part about turning down an acceptance to look for a better opportunity next year. If you applied to a "backup school," you did so with the idea that you would go to that school if accepted and if other possibilities fell through. Otherwise, why waste the time and money of applying to so-called backups?

You've written a lot but have given very few specifics. What is your MCAT score? 32? 35? 39? What was your GPA and undergrad school? What med schools did you apply to?

Even without that info, the fact that you only applied to 7 schools and applied VERY late pretty much explains the lack of interviews/acceptances.

I'm not sure that matters much since I've said that, as far as
numbers" go, I have ascertained that I am in the top echelon of candidates. If it helps to know specifics, I applied to mostly Midwestern schools.

I don't understand the part about turning down an acceptance to look for a better opportunity next year. If you applied to a "backup school," you did so with the idea that you would go to that school if accepted and if other possibilities fell through. Otherwise, why waste the time and money of applying to so-called backups?

That's another question I'm asking myself. I don't know. I think it had something to do with the fact that I waited until the last minute to submit my primary before an Oct. 15 midnight deadline, and, even though I thought I knew which schools I wanted to apply to, I only left myself 2-3 hours to choose schools. I spent too much time on my personal statement and I didn't leave enough time to make a careful decision about schools. I didn't even mention that I applied to 3 more schools but never followed through with the secondaries because I ultimately decided I wouldn't go there.

Can I withdraw from my backups before they make a decision? Then do I have a better shot of convincing my top choices next year?

i agree that the big issue is 7 schools pretty late in the cycle. timing is important, especially for the rolling schools. if you had to apply this late, you should have applied to more non-rolling schools (many of which incidentally are ivies, who would love your numbers).

but i'm not clear on how many interviews you got. if it's few, then applying late is the big problem. if your two rejections came post-interview, then a big issue may be how well you interview. other issues could be the personal statement or secondaries, and your prior exposure to health care. i don't know what you mean by "volunteered" in "EMS." did you have a lot of direct patient contact doing this "EMS", and how many hours over how much time did you have patient contact at the rehab hospital? how long ago did you do your pre-req science courses?

these are issues you should think about, or answer for us if you want better feedback from us.

That's another question I'm asking myself. I don't know. I think it had something to do with the fact that I waited until the last minute to submit my primary before an Oct. 15 midnight deadline, and, even though I thought I knew which schools I wanted to apply to, I only left myself 2-3 hours to choose schools. I spent too much time on my personal statement and I didn't leave enough time to make a careful decision about schools. I didn't even mention that I applied to 3 more schools but never followed through with the secondaries because I ultimately decided I wouldn't go there.

Can I withdraw from my backups before they make a decision? Then do I have a better shot of convincing my top choices next year?

if you aren't going to be relatively happy somewhere, then withdraw now (unless a scholarship from there might change your mind). apply again next year, earlier and smarter. for schools you're re-applying to, you should have some improvement to your application to show them. with your stats, i would also consider moving to a state with an awesome state school that allows you to become a resident after one year (e.g. michigan, oregon, washington, north carolina, california (maybe))--you could go to a great school and save some money.

i agree that the big issue is 7 schools pretty late in the cycle. timing is important, especially for the rolling schools. if you had to apply this late, you should have applied to more non-rolling schools (many of which incidentally are ivies, who would love your numbers).

but i'm not clear on how many interviews you got. if it's few, then applying late is the big problem. if your two rejections came post-interview, then a big issue may be how well you interview. other issues could be the personal statement or secondaries, and your prior exposure to health care. i don't know what you mean by "volunteered" in "EMS." did you have a lot of direct patient contact doing this "EMS", and how many hours over how much time did you have patient contact at the rehab hospital? how long ago did you do your pre-req science courses?

these are issues you should think about, or answer for us if you want better feedback from us.

I received 3 interviews. The two rejections so far have been pre-interview.

Did you really just say that?! :thumbdown:

Hey kaudung,

kaudung said:
Since I spent the entire summer re-learning the basic science I would need to know for the MCAT and spent the time after juggling work/pre-reqs/volunteering, I applied very late. I completed my primary on Oct 15 and my secondaries near mid-December. Is this the reason my inbox isn't overflowing with interview requests? Or is it due to some flaw in my application (a poor writing score? motivation to become a doctor unconvincing?) Does anyone else find themselves in a similar situation?

Right....timing is a really big deal. E.g. The OP asked this same question in the Brown thread, and I don't know if he ever read my post, but basically the OP submitted his secondary about a week before Brown started making acceptances for only ~30 spots (and most of that week was the holiday break). I don't think it's a large leap to think that procrastinating on applications hurt his chances.

I also wonder why the OP also took 2 months to submit his secondaries since he already knew that he was applying very late, and if he reads SDN, he knows that timing is everything, had access to the questions on all the secondaries. Many schools interpret late applications as a) disinterest in their school and b) arrogance/laziness on the part of the applicant. Compared with countless applicants with equal or better stats who were on the ball, of course schools aren't falling over themselves to accept the OP.

I wish the OP all the luck in the world, but there definitely seems to be a sense of entitlement here that's undeserved for anyone going into this process to have. If things don't work out this year, apply EARLY, and apply broadly. :luck:

it seems like you would be in good shape for the next cycle. continue with the pt contact. spend more time on the p.s./secodaries. your numbers give you a shot anywhere, but think it out ahead of time and only apply to schools that you think you would actually want to attend! apply to around twelve schools with a couple back-up (that you would attend), and the rest a mix of the most selective and less selective.

I received 3 interviews. The two rejections so far have been pre-interview.

Seriously? You're writing about what's wrong with your application and you're still waiting to hear back from the 3 schools you interviewed with? I'm not exactly sure what you expected to happen but interviewing at 3 schools out of 7 is pretty damn good. You're batting .420...

Maybe you should repost this thread if all three of those schools reject you. Otherwise, chill, you're in a very very good place right now, much better than most, and my money is on you going to med school next year.

...i would also consider moving to a state with an awesome state school that allows you to become a resident after one year (e.g. michigan, oregon, washington, north carolina, california (maybe))--you could go to a great school and save some money.

As far as the University of Michigan is concerned, you pretty much have to have been born in Michigan to receive in state status. Not sure about Wayne and MSU though (but it seems like the OP wouldn't be happy at these schools anyway).
December 15 seems extremely late. Don't many schools have a November 15th deadline anyways? I've said it before and I'll say it again. There's a reason why schools themselves tell you to apply early (and take the MCAT earlier than August - but yes everyone always has a "pressing" excuse). I think by mid December UMich had already handed out a significant chunk of its acceptances, let alone interviews.

And yes, it's a bit early to be reflecting on the application process. Duke and the Ivies haven't even rendered decisions yet, and people are counting themselves down and out, and others are already buying apartments because they've decided on their school. Kiddos: Slow down, you're moving too fast.

I would also echo the earlier post on prestige and privelege which seems pervasive in many applicants. Good numbers or not, schools don't need to bend over backwards when you don't respect them enough to do things in a timely manner. It shows a lack of priority. How bad do you want to go to these schools? Badly enough to lose some sleep or bar time to get an essay done?

As far as the University of Michigan is concerned, you pretty much have to have been born in Michigan to receive in state status.

yeah, i didn't think through the list in terms of which states allow state residence after one year, but just in terms of which ones had good state schools.

My understanding, coming from info gleaned on this site, is that if you get an acceptance and turn it down to apply next year to 'better' schools then you'll have a slim-to-none chance of getting in during reapplication. The rationale being that offers of acceptance are carefully chosen and you've turned down the 'golden ticket'. Adcoms may wonder why they should give you a 2nd chance.
If you are convinced you'd rather reapply than attend schools X and Y, withdraw your app from schools X and Y before they accept you. You do not want to reapply with the stigma of having turned down an acceptance.

I also wonder why the OP also took 2 months to submit his secondaries since he already knew that he was applying very late, and if he reads SDN, he knows that timing is everything, had access to the questions on all the secondaries. Many schools interpret late applications as a) disinterest in their school and b) arrogance/laziness on the part of the applicant. Compared with countless applicants with equal or better stats who were on the ball, of course schools aren't falling over themselves to accept the OP.

I wish the OP all the luck in the world, but there definitely seems to be a sense of entitlement here that's undeserved for anyone going into this process to have. If things don't work out this year, apply EARLY, and apply broadly. :luck:

I read your response on the Brown thread. Thanks for your advice.

I'm not sure I agree with you that schools interpret late applications as arrogance on the part of the applicant. I have not spoken with anyone at medical schools or on studentdoctor.net who has made such a sophistic inferential leap. I don't have to point out that there are many reasons applicants submit their applications late. In my case, I took the August MCAT and afterward, in catching up on lab work, taking classes, and volunteering, simply didn't allot enough time to submitting my application earlier. I realize now that this was a mistake. Please don't mistake distraction or procrastination for arrogance.

As far as taking 2 months to submit secondaries, I'm surprised to hear that this is uncommon or in any way egregious. My AMCAS took about 5 weeks to come back and schools started sending me secondary applications after about 10 days (Pritzker was the first to come back). So after about six weeks, I took two to three weeks to submit all of my secondaries. Is 2 months really an anomaly?

I certainly don't believe that I'm entitled to much more than a fair, thorough review of my application. I hope I have not come across as expressing anything different.

I'm not sure I agree with you that schools interpret late applications as arrogance on the part of the applicant. I have not spoken with anyone at medical schools or on studentdoctor.net who has made such a sophistic inferential leap. I don't have to point out that there are many reasons applicants submit their applications late. In my case, I took the August MCAT and afterward, in catching up on lab work, taking classes, and volunteering, simply didn't allot enough time to submitting my application earlier. I realize now that this was a mistake. Please don't mistake distraction or procrastination for arrogance.

As far as taking 2 months to submit secondaries, I'm surprised to hear that this is uncommon or in any way egregious. My AMCAS took about 5 weeks to come back (read: November 20) and schools started sending me secondary applications after about 10 days (Pritzker was the first to come back). So after about six weeks, I took two to three weeks to submit all of my secondaries. Is 2 months really an anomaly?

I certainly don't believe that I'm entitled to much more than a fair, thorough review of my application. I hope I have not come across as expressing anything different.

you're right. it's not a game played by thousands of applicants for a limited number of slots. i think adcoms see applicants who send back secondaries in a week or so as complete dorks who are too eager to go to their school. i mean, if they're that interested in the school that they do their best to get in, then they might mean that they're just desperate to get into med school because it's so competitive and all. so i think you should stick with the kool kat approach. you will get all the acceptances you deserve.

:sleep:
Welcome to the world of every other applicant. Most are juggling classes, jobs, and volunteering, and manage to apply to medical school in a timely manner.
As far as taking 2 months to submit secondaries, I'm surprised to hear that this is uncommon or in any way egregious. My AMCAS took about 5 weeks to come back (read: November 20) and schools started sending me secondary applications after about 10 days (Pritzker was the first to come back). So after about six weeks, I took two to three weeks to submit all of my secondaries. Is 2 months really an anomaly?
Yes. I always heard that 1 month was the absolute maximum time (some schools have a 2 week deadline anyways). I and many stick to a 1-2 week turnaround time, which is suggested.

:sleep:
Yes. I always heard that 1 month was the absolute maximum time (some schools have a 2 week deadline anyways). I and many stick to a 1-2 week turnaround time, which is suggested.

Then in that case two months is not an anomaly. 5 weeks for AMCAS verification + 1.5 weeks for secondary e-mails to arrive (I was not sent an e-mail invitation for secondary completion right after primary submission from any school) + 2 weeks for submission of suplemental applications =~ two months. If you read foofish's response, he stated that I took two months to submit my secondaries. I replied that, yes, indeed, I took two months. Note that the baseline here is from the time I submitted my primary, not from the time I received an invite to complete a secondary.

OP, i don't know that you should take the preinterview rejections personally. it is because you submitted your app's late, and i don't think it's because they think you're arrogant, lazy etc. it's simply a numbers game, and the sooner they review your app, the more spots there are. yours definitely got in toward the end, which hurt you. i understand why you think it's ridiculous...you submitted before the deadline. but i think med schools is a totally different game...you have to apply months before the deadline (october) at the latest to just be average among all the overachievers that are applying. many applicants get their AMCAS in in june and all the secondaries in well before august. not most, but many. med school deadlines really don't mean as much as they should.

If a school doesn't interview you, it's because the other applicants have better profiles, probably higher MCATs and GPAs. You may have shot too high. Hopefully, you also applied to lower ranked schools.

Look, simple solution:

WITHDRAW NOW.

RE-APPLY FIRST THING NEXT YEAR.

All will be happy.

No more needs to be said.

As others have noted, once you're actually accepted, you can't turn that acceptance down without screwing over your chances for next year. So take your pick -- either decide to go to whatever place accepts you, if any do, or withdraw NOW and just do this early next year. No need to argue that you took the average amount of time. Whatever. It doesn't matter. Point is, as everyone tells you, applying EARLY, FIRST THING is the key. Past is past. Just decide what you want to do now and stick to it

Look, simple solution:

WITHDRAW NOW.

RE-APPLY FIRST THING NEXT YEAR.

All will be happy.

No more needs to be said.

As others have noted, once you're actually accepted, you can't turn that acceptance down without screwing over your chances for next year. So take your pick -- either decide to go to whatever place accepts you, if any do, or withdraw NOW and just do this early next year. No need to argue that you took the average amount of time. Whatever. It doesn't matter. Point is, as everyone tells you, applying EARLY, FIRST THING is the key. Past is past. Just decide what you want to do now and stick to it

Boiled down to the bare essentials. To all of the people who replied on the thread, thanks much. I don't really know many people applying to medical school this year since I was an engineer and all. I feel like I've just been privy to my own admissions roundtable.

If anyone else wants to share their own, similar stories, I'd love to hear about them (any re-applicants who weren't successful the first time around but have verified that they had a much better chance if they applied early the second time).

I'd like to throw this out there as useful information. NWU told me that they received over 7500 applications this year, a 25% increase over last year. They see plenty of re-applicants each year, and they recommend applying early (duh). I will try again next year if things don't go through with my top choice. My Member is Junior to no one's.

I was actually thinking the same exact thing...why bother applying to schools you really don't want to go to? It's a lot of time wasted for you, the applicant, and for the school when they are processing your application.

Also, in reference to the poster who mentioned that she may defer to get into a state school due to lower tuition, why apply to those schools that you know that you really can't afford?

Krisss17

If a school doesn't interview you, it's because the other applicants have better profiles, probably higher MCATs and GPAs. You may have shot too high. Hopefully, you also applied to lower ranked schools.

Actually if you looked at the OP's stats (GPA/MCAT), both were quite impressive. No, I believe as many have said, that the reason for those two schools not interviewing you was more likely the lateness of the applications.

I think the lateness of my own app and the fact that my PS wasn't uber-awesome are what did me in at most places. I only say this because I applied to all 4 SUNYs, and the 2 that had extra essays both gave me interviews, while Buffalo and Syracuse gave me dead air and a hold respectively. Since Syracuse is usually considered the "easiest" SUNY med school to get into, and since every other place I applied with just my PS has also just given me dead air or rejected me, I'm going to guess my PS wasn't that fantastic =(

Oh well, if I have to reapp I'll get my PS up to spec and apply ultra early =P

Sweet Mother of God, do not do this. All of the schools you applied to are solid choices, and the opportunity cost of delaying entrance by a year is quite high. Now working with other residents from many institutions, it strikes me not how different our med school experiences were, but how similar. Learning medicine at school A is pretty much the same as at school B, and the USMLE is the same no matter where you are.

Take it from someone who spent 10 years screwing around with doctorate degrees: get in, go, get out and get on with it.

Sincerely,

Gut Shot, MD, PhD

Sweet Mother of God, do not do this. All of the schools you applied to are solid choices, and the opportunity cost of delaying entrance by a year is quite high. Now working with other residents from many institutions, it strikes me not how different our med school experiences were, but how similar. Learning medicine at school A is pretty much the same as at school B, and the USMLE is the same no matter where you are.

Take it from someone who spent 10 years screwing around with doctorate degrees: get in, go, get out and get on with it.

Sincerely,

Gut Shot, MD, PhD

well said gut shot:thumbup:

Look--there is some seriously bad advice in this thread, as well as some good advice. I'm a fellow ECE who's going through the process, and I sympathize with you on submitting late, although I didn't submit nearly as late as you did.

My own philosophy is that you apply when you think you can give your best foot forward. Once you jump, in my view, you don't look back, unless the situation trully looks dire. You are clearly in a position where the posibility of doing well exists (and I'm sure with a good probablity).

Since you have a number of interviews, I think you should take them, and do your best. Absolute worst case, you reapply. But the fact that you've committed so much already makes withdrawing seem like a complete waste for a trivial gain in experience and knowledge.

I wish you the best.