Surprising Interview Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FOREAL

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my recent interviews had a surprising turn towards the end of the day. After interviewing with faculty, the program director pulled me aside to speak privately with me. (Now, I was literally having bowel incontinence as the PD approached me with this) What did I do? However I was pleasantly surprised to hear what the PD had to say:

"We love and want you here and we hope that you love it here just as much". Keep in mind that I had no affliation with the program prior to the interview. (So I thought the PD was blowing smoke up my @ss)
My response: thank you (but I was very reluctant because I aware of the game) with an uncomfortable smile.

What am I supposed to think? Why did he pull ME aside? Did he pull others aside? Are PDs known to do this? Quite frankly I hate these games :oops:

Anyway I just wanted to share this and see if anyone else had interesting interview experience, whether good or bad.

Members don't see this ad.

FOREAL said:
What am I supposed to think? Why did he pull ME aside? Did he pull others aside? Are PDs known to do this? Quite frankly I hate these games :oops:

Wow, it sounds like you're in a pretty good position there. I guess a lot of PDs/interviewees play the "game," but I doubt that someone would be that specific in saying that they love you and hope that you love them too. I haven't heard this happen to anyone else, so I'm inclined to think he was being genuine. Just a word of caution, because I've heard of horror stories where an applicant thought for sure a program was going to rank them at the top of their list, and so, only ranked that one program. Unfortunately, it turned out that they were high on the list but not high enough. Again, these are just rumors, but you never know...so, it's still best to rank as many programs that you're sure you'll be happy at and in the order that you like the best.

Best of luck to you!!

Sounds like it was a good interview experience. Unless you like that program though, there is no need to rank it at the top merely because of what the PD said. Sure they may rank you high, but unless he asks to officially sign you outside of the match, there are no gaurantees you will be going there next year if you rank them at the top.

Think about it. They average size of a residency program is what? 10 per year? They may interview hundreds of students in the process. Who know right? There could be ten other AOA geniuses who were nobel laureates interviewing in the program next month.

Point is. Be safe. Rank other programs. And never EVER consider those words from a PD as a gaurantee into their program.

Regards,
Nardo

Members don't see this ad :)
So far I have to agree with all the posts thus far. I certainly will not 'rely' on the PDs words. I am definitely aware that there are better applicants as there may be more appealing programs for me. I will continue on my interview trail and hope I find the best program.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else had this experience?

yes, im currently having this experience now. had similar remarks during the interview from both the pd and chair. now got a follow up email that was very "encouraging." and yes, this is a major, "top 10," program.

keep in mind tho, a number of these top places also came out saying that we will not contact anyone and that we do not discuss ranking/matching at all.

i dont know what you all mean by the "game" - but its nice to know people have an interest. why in the world would u rank 1 place tho? the rank works out for us ONLY if u rank the place u want to go, with some sort of backup -- if it happens to coincide with a program who wants u too, then great. otherwise, say thanks to the PD and rank them approriately - if they want u that bad and noone else wants u, ull match there regardless.

FOREAL said:
So far I have to agree with all the posts thus far. I certainly will not 'rely' on the PDs words. I am definitely aware that there are better applicants as there may be more appealing programs for me. I will continue on my interview trail and hope I find the best program.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else had this experience?