survey crown for fixed rpd case

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dent001

BAMF
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

pt needs an upper and lower rpd, both distal extensions. we've planned out 4 survey crowns; 1 on the upper, 3 on the lower (2 of which are splinted for support-perio concerns).

Is there anyone on here who can direct me to good sources on how to do survey crowns and the sequence of steps it involves. It's pretty difficult making a path of insertion exactly how you need it on multiple crowned teeth. this is pretty difficult, there are only a few faculty I can work with on this and they don't like their time being wasted. I really need to understand everything.

The website below is the only good source i've found on my own. It's a good ppt with lots of info, but it has more advanced cases than mine so it's hard to fully understand what I need to know exactly. I need more sources of information, please help if you can.

http://www.ffofr.org/education/lect...tures-surveyed-crown-and-combined-fixed-rpds/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Stewart's Clinical Removable Partial Prosthodontics by Phoenix

I dont quite understand what you are asking. Are you casting your own crowns? Likely not. So with respect to guide planes, your lab is ultimately responsible, although you can verify and tweak if needed with a surveyor. You are going to design your partial, and take that design to the preparation appointment. Any teeth that are not being crowned, but require a guide plane will be the basis for your lab to work off of. Otherwise your lab will make sure the mandibular crowns' guide planes are parallel when the make your prosthetics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm... yeah I guess you are right.. you should technically be cutting the survey crown abutments at the path of draw that will be made by your guideplanes... In theory this sounds great, but I don't think it translates well into practice: like you said I can imagine it being very difficult, and perhaps you are splitting hairs... Anyone have any experience with this?

The lab tech is responsible for surveying guide planes on the survey crowns, and you are responsible for guide planes on natural teeth.

Here is what I do in practice:

1) Prepare abutment teeth for crowns the standard way you are used to
2) On the lab script indicate where you want guide planes, rests, retention, etc AND ask them to fabricate framework at the same time
**If the lab does not do removable then ask the fixed lab to forward your case to the removable lab of choice with attached lab script indicating framework design
3) Instruct removable lab in framework design (as you are taught)
4) Crowns and partial framework will then return to my office for try-in, jaw relations, etc.

Note that there are many ways to skin a cat. Some folks prefer to cement the "survey" crowns first then take master impression and have framework try-in and jaw relations at a separate visit....what ever suits you and your patient's time table.