Survey: your SDN reading habits!

Started by nyanko
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

What kind of threads do you read on SDN?

  • My school/interests

    Votes: 64 94.1%
  • Acceptances/interviews/successful applicants

    Votes: 60 88.2%
  • Admissions related issues

    Votes: 53 77.9%
  • Veterinary related issues

    Votes: 49 72.1%
  • Schools I'm not applying to

    Votes: 23 33.8%
  • Dorky polls like this one

    Votes: 40 58.8%
  • DIRTY LURKER WHO ONLY REGISTERS TO POST MY ACCEPTANCES >:D

    Votes: 2 2.9%
  • SHUT UP ALREADY NYANKO YOU CRAZY PERSON

    Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Write-in option (post in thread!!)

    Votes: 6 8.8%

  • Total voters
    68

nyanko

total trash mammal
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I was reading a thread on here, and saw some other people who were doing the same - reading and posting in a thread. Typical, right? But the thing was, neither of them (nor I) had applied to the school that the thread was about (or plan to), and that's what they were talking about. :laugh:

So I've often wondered how many of us do this. I pretty much keep up with the threads for most of the schools even if I don't plan on applying to them next year. Mostly it's probably because I'm an information hoarder, but I think it's also because I like to see if people who are regulars here got in and stuff. So, SDN pre-vetters, how many of you read all the threads too?

Also, I realize this will have a selection bias. :laugh:

And you can select as many choices as pertain to you in the poll!
 
Last edited:
👍 guilty!

(Since I think you were referencing my comment in the first place, haha)

However, it started gradually. I was a lurker, then posted on one or two relevant threads, and now I'm addicted.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My write in:

Favorite threads are the ones (that are usually about something innocuous and high jacked) where we end up debating some issue - by far my favorite
 
POLLS ARE AWESOME.

I originally registered to be a dirty lurker who only posted acceptances (LOL)...but then I saw how darn nice everyone was so I started talking more.

Then I went to the pre-allo forum and realized how awesome the pre-vets here are so I started talking even more.

And knowing some of my future classmates is a plus -- I'm terribly shy so it'll be nice to have talked to a few of them before August, even if it's just online.

But I read almost all of the threads because it's exciting to hear that people are getting accepted into schools and to see how happy they are. And the admissions-related ones are good too...so long as they don't get into OMGDRAMA zones...
 
And knowing some of my future classmates is a plus -- I'm terribly shy so it'll be nice to have talked to a few of them before August, even if it's just online.

As odd as it may be, I have an interesting comment related to this. Before coming to undergrad, my school set up an online facebook-type thing just for us with profiles, forums, etc. I actually made some good friends that I still talk to to this day (including my current roommate!!!) on that website. 🙂

Who knows, it could be the same here.
 
Guilty as charged!!!

I think that someone mentioned starting a 12-step program some time ago but got as far as maybe 3 steps(?)

Some of us are hopeless cases, I'm afraid. 😀
 
Then I went to the pre-allo forum and realized how awesome the pre-vets here are so I started talking even more.

OMG yes. Pre-Med, Allo, Pharmacy - They are all crazy over there - and scary. Personally i think PAT has the easiest admin position at SDN -

Or maybe we are all just on our best behavior because PAT is an awesome admin, hmm, anyone want to debate it?

I should also add, its pretty nice to see who my future classmates will be as well!
 
Haha, yeah, I realize that I lurk other school's threads more than I post in them though. XD

Although, I usually check out a new thread at least once, then decide if I want to post or not.
 
My write-in, because I didn't realize that we could select more than one choice until just now:

If it's new or bolded, I'll probably read it.
 
OMG yes. Pre-Med, Allo, Pharmacy - They are all crazy over there - and scary. Personally i think PAT has the easiest admin position at SDN -

Or maybe we are all just on our best behavior because PAT is an awesome admin, hmm, anyone want to debate it?

I should also add, its pretty nice to see who my future classmates will be as well!


Yeah, we are very, very relaxed. I see at least 2 posts a day over there on pre-allo about 'OMG SHOULD I PUT THIS CLASS ON AMCAS OMG I TOOK IT AT A CC CAN I STILL BE A DOCTOR'. Maybe not that crazy...but...still.

But they've got some good threads too - worst/most awkward interview responses, write your own rejection letter and the 'Golden Ding Awards' thread. Oh and the pre-med pic thread. I'd like to start one of those here, but don't know how it'd go over. 😳

And this is for PAT for being a great mod:
internet-high-five-6428-1.jpg
 
Well, when I first found this place, I stuck to the interview feedback section almost exclusively before I even made a screen name for myself lol. I generally kept to the feedback for schools I was interested in applying to, and then I found soon afterward that I had read all of those feedback posts.

Hmm.

Well, it couldn't hurt to look at questions other schools have asked because they might come up with the schools I wanted to apply to, I thought, and I then branched out to all of the feedback posts.

But then I ran out of those, too.

What a dilemma.

Little did I know it then, but the addiction had already taken hold of me by the time I ventured onto the boards and began reading old acceptance and interview and waitlist and rejection threads. Still, I stuck mostly to threads pertaining to my schools of interest until a very slow day came along and I decided it couldn't hurt to explore a little more.

And now I read all of the bolded threads, at least through the first post, and I have a compulsion to keep checking for new bolded threads when I run out of them LOL. The best part about looking into threads I might not be terribly interested in at first glance is that they often lead to useful information pertaining to me at SOME point, and a lot of gems can be found that way. For instance, Infinivet's (I believe!) tips for stress relief and staying on top of things while in vet school, which I found on a thread about high school grades on the vet forum. Amazing, this place.

My name is OnceBitten, and I am an addict.
 
I pretty much read everything, even though I don't post on every thread! So far this year my favorite thread though would have to be the "Factors When Picking a School" thread. It helped me sooo much not only with making up my mind on where I want to go, but in helping me to get excited for vet school in general!! Not that I needed any more reason to be excited hahaha, but simple things like "24 hour access" and "free printing" had me practically drooling! :laugh:
 
I pretty much read everything, even though I don't post on every thread! So far this year my favorite thread though would have to be the "Factors When Picking a School" thread. It helped me sooo much not only with making up my mind on where I want to go, but in helping me to get excited for vet school in general!! Not that I needed any more reason to be excited hahaha, but simple things like "24 hour access" and "free printing" had me practically drooling! :laugh:

Did someone say 24 hour access and free printing! Where is this?!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm one of 5 who voted "Shut up Nyanko you crazy person!" Hahaha. 😀

I usually only skip threads for schools I have no interest in, but sometimes I wander in and then regret missing out on some part of a convo. I have other things I generally do on the internet, and while Lolcats isn't groundbreakingly important, I still check it once a day... so how do you guys have time to read all the threads, all the time? Am I too thorough in what I *do* read, or what?
 
I read the ones with fun titles.

Not really. Well, only partially.

I mostly read the ones that are questions from people (because I like to get advice without the work 😉), threads comparing schools (I second loving the "Factors When Picking a School" thread--you guys make me want to apply to all the schools!), and after that the fun titles thing comes into effect, followed by threads that look informative. If I have time, I try to read others, too, but a lot of time I get distracted after that and don't get the chance.
 
I usually check out my school specific stuff and general interview acceptance threads. If there is a new non-trad, I say howdy. I also, on occasion, will check posts from friends, to see if there's anything interesting going on in the other threads.
 
I've been lurking for about two months, and at first I was reading everything. Now that I'm done with interviews and I'm just waiting, I'm avoiding the acceptances thread and the "do I have a chance" threads because it makes me too darn nervous. Other than that I read everything and I agree, I love the "factors when picking a school thread."