Surviving early pregnancy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RO28

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I was wondering if anyone had tips for surviving early pregnancy as a physician. I feel awful and just want to curl in a ball and sleep. I'm an attending and getting coverage is a challenge.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh man, I feel you! First trimester is rough. For me the following things helped:

- Prioritizing sleep. Sometimes this meant I went to bed shortly after getting home in the evening. My husband would be in charge of dishes and taking care of the kids. He knew I was really struggling and needed my sleep.
- Caffeine. I continue to drink 1-2 cups of coffee per day during pregnancy.
- Frequent snacks
- If nausea or vomitting are an issue, see if your OB can prescribe you something.

Know that first trimester doesn't last forever! How many weeks are you?

Reactions: 1 user
Oh man, I feel you! First trimester is rough. For me the following things helped:

- Prioritizing sleep. Sometimes this meant I went to bed shortly after getting home in the evening. My husband would be in charge of dishes and taking care of the kids. He knew I was really struggling and needed my sleep.
- Caffeine. I continue to drink 1-2 cups of coffee per day during pregnancy.
- Frequent snacks
- If nausea or vomitting are an issue, see if your OB can prescribe you something.

Know that first trimester doesn't last forever! How many weeks are you?
Yes! I do agree. Prioritizing sleep is the key!

Members don't see this ad :)
@Bronze Medal Thanks! currently middle of week 6, so too early for me to tell everyone. Normally I don't wish time away, but damn, I'm wishing time away right now.

Much better, thank you! 2 weeks left of the first tri! damn, I am tired though.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Much better, thank you! 2 weeks left of the first tri! damn, I am tired though.
great! if you dont mind me asking - what changes in your routine were helpful? (just for whoever will read it and have similar problems)

My biggest symptom the first two weeks was cramping, I have a microwave heating pad that I brought to work and that worked WAY better than tylenol. It was also easy to have it on my lap to help with cramps while working on notes, etc. My nausea wasn't terrible, but having multiple options for snacks in my desk drawer has been good. Multiple options have been key as what I want daily fluctuates a lot! I also told one person in my office early (the nurse I work with) so she could help cover for me when I was running behind because I needed a few minutes for symptoms to pass/improve.

Reactions: 2 users
My biggest symptom the first two weeks was cramping, I have a microwave heating pad that I brought to work and that worked WAY better than tylenol. It was also easy to have it on my lap to help with cramps while working on notes, etc. My nausea wasn't terrible, but having multiple options for snacks in my desk drawer has been good. Multiple options have been key as what I want daily fluctuates a lot! I also told one person in my office early (the nurse I work with) so she could help cover for me when I was running behind because I needed a few minutes for symptoms to pass/improve.
I just remembered how hard I was through from weeks of my pregnancy. Sorry to hear you feel that way