Surviving the hostel food........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

*TRINITY*

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since past one week or so my appetite has dramatically dropped. I'm feeding on junk food for whole last week. Its getting more and more hard to gulp down the crappy hostel food days by day. Its been six months since i had been home. Now I really appreciate what home food is. i used to be very fuzzy about what i ate when i was at home. Now I am looking forward to going back homw in PLs and make up for all the culinary delights i missed on.

As of now i feel like running away from this place. My hostel mess is fairly decent enough but yet it gets boring after some time..... :( yesterday we went to this place called Howrah at Crawford market & had a sumptous bengali food after so many days. It was totally lip smacking, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Bhagat Tarachand & Rajdhani in Kalbadevi, crystal at girgaum are among my favourite eating places in Mumbai. But how many times i can go there? Street food in mumbai is very good but i still miss excellent paranthas i used to relish in my junior college days in Delhi. Why mumbaikar cant make good paranthas??
so can u give me few tips on how to survive on hostel food ? Plz recommend some good eating places in mumbai. I'm really getting bored of eating out also ..... :(

Members don't see this ad.

*TRINITY* said:
Since past one week or so my appetite has dramatically dropped. I'm feeding on junk food for whole last week. Its getting more and more hard to gulp down the crappy hostel food days by day. Its been six months since i had been home. Now I really appreciate what home food is. i used to be very fuzzy about what i ate when i was at home. Now I am looking forward to going back homw in PLs and make up for all the culinary delights i missed on.

As of now i feel like running away from this place. My hostel mess is fairly decent enough but yet it gets boring after some time..... :( yesterday we went to this place called Howrah at Crawford market & had a sumptous bengali food after so many days. It was totally lip smacking, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Bhagat Tarachand & Rajdhani in Kalbadevi, crystal at girgaum are among my favourite eating places in Mumbai. But how many times i can go there? Street food in mumbai is very good but i still miss excellent paranthas i used to relish in my junior college days in Delhi. Why mumbaikar cant make good paranthas??
so can u give me few tips on how to survive on hostel food ? Plz recommend some good eating places in mumbai. I'm really getting bored of eating out also ..... :(
one of my friends in the western part of GTA puts chai in everything. ;)

*TRINITY* said:

Do they got a Haldiram's in Mumbai?

Members don't see this ad :)
So typical of Delhite. You will come to Mumbai for Med School but complain about lack of parathas. Its the same as some one from Mumbai coming to Delhi and asking for Chapati. I am sure that the ones available there will be far inferior than home made ones.

Sunny have you ever been to Bombay? What the hell do you mean asking if Haldiram is available in Bombay? Its like asking if a Dunkin Donuts is to be found in Bay Area.

Trinity I agree that hostel food can be bad. But you have to just find your way at working around it.

BDS-DMD said:
So typical of Delhite. You will come to Mumbai for Med School but complain about lack of parathas. Its the same as some one from Mumbai coming to Delhi and asking for Chapati. I am sure that the ones available there will be far inferior than home made ones.

Sunny have you ever been to Bombay? What the hell do you mean asking if Haldiram is available in Bombay? Its like asking if a Dunkin Donuts is to be found in Bay Area.

Trinity I agree that hostel food can be bad. But you have to just find your way at working around it.
Someone needs to stuff parathas and Bengali sweets up your spinctors. Typical ref going ballistic on people. Geez, who made you the raja over everyone here?

The truth hurts bad does it not Pakorah?

BDS-DMD said:
The truth hurts bad does it not Pakorah?
"truth hurts bad"????? You sound like my Indian dentist, as you make no sense. :eek:

BDS-DMD said:

Whats the bay area? thunder bay? hudson bay? :oops:

I think he means the Bombay area or is it the Tampa Bay area?

BDS-DMD said:

No I haven't been to your Bollywood... and so what if I didn't? Trinity mentioned she ate Bengali sweets, and I just asked if there was a Haldirams there. Sue me.

*TRINITY* said:

I cant believe u r actually cribbing when u have choice at least 20 odd canteens and cafeterias on JJ hospital campus........ i know they all r more or less same but u atleast have variety........ we even dont have that luxury. I still believe vividly how we fought with hostel management for decent canteen facility at our hostel....
Only thing i like about BTC is rabri. why places like BTC & crystal favourite haunts of every PMTite. Though i like going to Crystal i wont go there as frequently as others go & u cant afford going to Rajdhani regularly either! 120 bucks for a single meal of veggies .. :mad:
Have tried this place called Mom's kitchen just outside 2 no. gate (on way out to Sandhurst road) of jj campus. It serves awesome chinese!!! Its our regular haunt. we go at least twice a month there. Then there is Sardar at tardeo circle ...... dont tell me u havent heard the name. Coming near hostel there is Noorani u will get best biryani in city here. Swati in opposite bhatia hospital is good place for snack!! And finally for parathas u'll have to go all the way to Bandra. There is this place called Paratha House ..... must try it. If still need further recommendations just call me. Or u can simply purchase times food guide available at every planet M shop :thumbup:

trinity i've got some recommedation but most of the places i know r in suburb. try these

Urban Tadka at yari road- mostly mughlai and north indian fare :thumbup:
stomach at bandra- good chinese
hardeep punjab at sion (koliwada)- best bhatti da murga and chooza makhni

Thank god i dont have to think what i have to eat hours b4. As i'm posting this reply i am enjoying garam kanda pakoras and hot tea & its raining outside.

hey shardul c'on having so many canteens really doesnt matter most of them are open only during day time & u can grab quick bite just about anything for lunch since u r in hurry. u dont have to think about luch as much u think about u r dinner.
and for god's sake allergic itna bhi naa jalao yaar pls delete that chai & pakode thing from u r post its making me nostalgic :( :( . thank u both of u for ur recommendations i would surely try them! BTW today i got invited to one of my konkani friend's home. For the first time in my life i tasted real manglorean food. her mother prepared excellent prawn gassi and neer dosa, absolutely yummy! :D

and sunny haldirams is available in mumbai.

*TRINITY* said:
hey shardul c'on having so many canteens really doesnt matter most of them are open only during day time & u can grab quick bite just about anything for lunch since u r in hurry. u dont have to think about luch as much u think about u r dinner.
and for god's sake allergic itna bhi naa jalao yaar pls delete that chai & pakode thing from u r post its making me nostalgic :( :( . thank u both of u for ur recommendations i would surely try them! BTW today i got invited to one of my konkani friend's home. For the first time in my life i tasted real manglorean food. her mother prepared excellent prawn gassi and neer dosa, absolutely yummy! :D

and sunny haldirams is available in mumbai.

So what does BDS-DMD have to say about this????????????