Suture tying kits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slevin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had good suggestions for suture thing kits that would allow me to practice while at home

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone had good suggestions for suture thing kits that would allow me to practice while at home
Like where to get them?

Usually OR staff will give you or loan you outdated suture, needle drivers etc., if you ask nicely.

While the supervisor was looking on craigslist and eBay for my missing wireless gamma probe which has gone on a $30,000 walkabout, we saw lots of suture kits, instrument trays etc. for sale for cheap!

I was given a commercial suture practice kit as a gift in my first year, and honestly, it was so unwieldy I only used it a couple times. The instruments were too small, too stiff, and didn't work reliably. The suture itself didn't come on a needle and threading it properly took a long time (it doesn't thread like a regular sewing needle).

Once I started clinical rotations, like Winged Scapula said, I found much easier options. I asked a nice scrub tech if I could have a few packets of suture to practice with and wound up with a bag of suture and a pair of older - but still well-working - needle drivers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Needle drivers, forceps can be found for a few dollars on Amazon or eBay. You can get a brand new pair that are nearly as good as what you find in the OR. As far as suture and free ties, just ask a scrub tech at the end of the case.

Ask the residents.

For example, anytime I do a central line there's needle drivers in the kit. We have no mechanism to reuse them, so we honestly throw perfectly good needle drivers away every day. If a med student asked me for them I'd be happy to hand them a needle driver for free. Similar with forceps, scissors, scalpels.

Reactions: 1 user