Suturing in ophthalmology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sjkpark

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have opportunity to do plastics rotation and wondering what are the most often used suture techniques in ophthalmology that I would have to learn? Would being proficient in simple interrupted be enough?
I guess you wouldn't use much mattresses in ophthalmology.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Docs will frequently use a running on upper lid bleph and ptosis surgery. My plastics attending used vertical mattresses all the time in direct brow lifts.

In penetrating keratoplasties we use both interrupted and running sutures as well. Sometimes both in the same procedure. Occasionally a mattress suture is used to close a complex stellate corneal laceration.

Hi

I have opportunity to do plastics rotation and wondering what are the most often used suture techniques in ophthalmology that I would have to learn? Would being proficient in simple interrupted be enough?
I guess you wouldn't use much mattresses in ophthalmology.

Thanks

Well. let's see . . .

certainly simple interrupted, vertical mattress, running, running locking and alternating locking, buried intradermal, near and far interrupted, and releasable with buried leader (good for trab flaps).

Get a fresh pig's foot from the butcher counter. Make some cuts in the skin (keep the foot in an icewater bath to keep it cooled) and practice some suturing. See if your hospital OR supply room has some discarded clean suture material to practice with. Try some flap transpositions, z-plasties, etc.