Suturing Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I just finished my surgery rotation and feel pretty decent about suturing but definitely need more practice. During the rotation I got to throw some deep sutures to close laporoscopic ports, did a few lac repairs for trauma, and did a few subcuticular closures but not enough since we had interns and residents to compete with for closing. Just wondering when you all started to feel good with suturing, particularly the subcuticular suture? Will I get a lot more chances to do subcuticular suturing during my ob/gyn rotation? I am planning on doing it somewhere where there won't be a lot of residents. Any other advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished my surgery rotation and feel pretty decent about suturing but definitely need more practice. During the rotation I got to throw some deep sutures to close laporoscopic ports, did a few lac repairs for trauma, and did a few subcuticular closures but not enough since we had interns and residents to compete with for closing. Just wondering when you all started to feel good with suturing, particularly the subcuticular suture? Will I get a lot more chances to do subcuticular suturing during my ob/gyn rotation? I am planning on doing it somewhere where there won't be a lot of residents. Any other advice is appreciated.
Also I am interested in surgery which is why I want to get better. i don't want to show up to a sub-i and look ****ty while closing. But I've also heard from some students that they really got better with subcuticular during there fourth year.

Also I am interested in surgery which is why I want to get better. i don't want to show up to a sub-i and look ****ty while closing. But I've also heard from some students that they really got better with subcuticular during there fourth year.

As someone who works with MS4s, as long as you learn and get better suturing during the rotation, I'm ok with you having a rough start with it and being incredibly slow. If I let you close skin every time and you never get better, I'll be a little concerned about your ability to hone your skills. I judge your success based on how much you improve and learn (and not just with suturing), not on how you were at the beginning of the rotation when you were nervous and trying to make a good first impression.

Members don't see this ad :)
My OBGYN doesn't let me do sutures. I think OBGYN is a decent amount less surgical then surgery.

My OBGYN doesn't let me do sutures. I think OBGYN is a decent amount less surgical then surgery.

tell that to the gyn onc service or to busy labor floors when they're doing a few C-sections a night....
like any field, it depends on what you subspecialize in

That's a fair point. I'm doing 3rd year in a rural hospital, so L and D is less busy. But even still, probably more so depends on the attending. Idk

Reactions: 1 user