Suturing techniques and hand tremors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ericdamiansean

High Profiler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but heck, I'll give it a shot

I'm volunteering at this charity clinic, and one of the things that I can't do while I'm there, I'm M2 by the way, is suturing, though the doc tells me that it's not too early for me to learn it and will be heck of a use when I do my electives in Africa because I'll be suturing my arse off almost every day if I were to do an elective there. And he's too busy to teach me and I can't just stand there and watch how he does it because I'm helping out with the other patients

I would like to know, what are the main knots, and suturing techniques that I should know, and are there any websites that I can learn from. I see this 'suturing video' ad on SDN but heck, I'm not going to pay $100 to buy that, and I think that would be for more complex knots and stitches as well as for those who are interested in surgery

Another problem I have is fine tremors in my hand..not sure why, anyone else has this prob? Seems that for the time being, while doing a vene puncture or something, the needle can be seen trembling(something which the doc observed)

Any suggestions to solve this? :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Go to an ER affiliated with your school and volunteer to suture. Be up front and let the attending/residents know you don't have experience with suturing so they will show you how to do the most common methods. You should have enough suturing in 2-3 shifts that you will feel comfortable from thereon.

Good Luck - Pilot

The tremors might be from caffiene, if you are a fan. I dissected embryos under a scope as an undergrad, and if I had caffiene it was really really hard to keep my hands from shaking. I had to give it up while I worked there, which was rough.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get some anti-cholinergics, maybe you have early onset Parkinson's (sorry- doing Pharm) :eek:

UCSFFreak said:
Get some anti-cholinergics, maybe you have early onset Parkinson's (sorry- doing Pharm) :eek:

Go get that zebra, cowboy!

It won't help you actually sew, but you can get the free suture board, manual, and practice rope from ethicon. You don't even have to pay for shipping.
1-800-255-2500
tony

You can practice on a peeled banana (peel it, but dont eat, and sew it back up). It works.

You can even slice the banana open on one of the edges and sew it back up.

phllystyl said:
Go get that zebra, cowboy!
I'm all about the zebras. In fact, thats going to be my specialty (Zebrologist). I will have to figure out a good way to filter the patients (without doing a subspecialty, of course), so that I only get zebras, but like my grandfather says, "If you don't try, well, you are just a lazy-ass."

As for the tremor, try a search for "tremor" and "surgery" here... I know it's been discussed but I don't recall the names of the threads. People take propranolol for essential tremor, but what you are experiencing may not be an essential tremor, it could just be nervousness or inexperience. Ethicon has many resources including a suture and knot tying manual, so check out their website in addition to calling the above listed number.

If you are doing an elective where you are going to be suturing a lot, that will be the best way to learn.

exmike said:
You can practice on a peeled banana (peel it, but dont eat, and sew it back up). It works.

Absorbable suture material? How long until I remove them? :D

UCSFFreak said:

hehe..thanks..but I don't have early onset of parkinsons...christ..I'm only 22 this year

Members don't see this ad :)
exmike said:

serious? :cool:

ericdamiansean said:

yeah, it works better than an orange. Although an orange works OK to learn

flighterdoc said:
yeah, it works better than an orange. Although an orange works OK to learn

which material, or fruit :D has the best consistency, texture and feel of the human skin?

Chicken.
Cut it up, then try to suture it back together.... it works, it's how I learned when I had to do surgery on rats.

~doc

Doc Ivy said:
Chicken.
Cut it up, then try to suture it back together.... it works, it's how I learned when I had to do surgery on rats.

~doc

With skin right? A whole chicken or like a breast.

hexagram13 said:
It won't help you actually sew, but you can get the free suture board, manual, and practice rope from ethicon. You don't even have to pay for shipping.
1-800-255-2500
tony

I can't find anything on the ethicon website, more info pls?

Good question, I did it without skin, try both I guess.

Pig skin and tissue best approximates human skin and tissue. Chicken is a little loose and friable, but good practice nonetheless.

DoctorDoom said:
Pig skin and tissue best approximates human skin and tissue. Chicken is a little loose and friable, but good practice nonetheless.

Sutures? How quaint.

Derma-bond and staples!!!

LOL... the guy has got to start old school, crawl, walk, then run.

Besides, you can't use those for everything!

Apparently, someone hasn't been looking at the SDN ads enough. :laugh:

cover_rtonly.jpg

http://www.suturetechnique.com/
(I couldn't help it :p)