Sweet Cerner Tricks.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just time and notes. I don't bother pulling in vitals - but I see where you're coming from. Also, I rarely type anything - dragon is the only thing that makes Cerner bearable. And I figure I can dictate the important things - like that the "tachycardia is improving, systolic up to 115" etc. Less clicks. More dictating. Although the new Dragon update with the 2 second delay is absolutely maddening.

Cerner will pull in all the vitals when you refresh your note, but it goes in a separate area.

Members don't see this ad.

Although the new Dragon update with the 2 second delay is absolutely maddening.

Yep. We "updated" Dragon this spring sometime. I said directly to the CEO that there was not a single feature that was improved, and now Dragon won't work with any of the other programs that it used to (PACS, etc).

We lost all voice commands, now have poorer speech recognition, and a 2 second delay that wasnt there before.

Just time and notes. I don't bother pulling in vitals - but I see where you're coming from. Also, I rarely type anything - dragon is the only thing that makes Cerner bearable. And I figure I can dictate the important things - like that the "tachycardia is improving, systolic up to 115" etc. Less clicks. More dictating. Although the new Dragon update with the 2 second delay is absolutely maddening.

Cerner will pull in all the vitals when you refresh your note, but it goes in a separate area.
That's probably how I'll start doing it.

How do you refresh a note in Cerner to update vitals? My note pulls in vitals above the HPI, but it never seems to update. If I start my note before the first vitals are documented, there won't be any vitals. The only way to refresh I found was to right click and clear the vitals completely. Then I can click vitals again to pull in vitals, and it will include all the vitals taken up to that point. Is there an easier way?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's probably how I'll start doing it.

How do you refresh a note in Cerner to update vitals? My note pulls in vitals above the HPI, but it never seems to update. If I start my note before the first vitals are documented, there won't be any vitals. The only way to refresh I found was to right click and clear the vitals completely. Then I can click vitals again to pull in vitals, and it will include all the vitals taken up to that point. Is there an easier way?

Click on the column header above the "set" of vitals that you want, then click "include selected".

Epic also allows you to click on the abnormal vital sign, lab, x-ray, etc. and make a comment when you're in the workup tab. That's how I document significant abnormalities. It automatically times it when you click, but you have an option to back time it.

Yep. We "updated" Dragon this spring sometime. I said directly to the CEO that there was not a single feature that was improved, and now Dragon won't work with any of the other programs that it used to (PACS, etc).

We lost all voice commands, now have poorer speech recognition, and a 2 second delay that wasnt there before.

What version/implementation of Dragon are you guys using? DMPE, DNPE, DMO, PowerScribe 360, etc?

Epic also allows you to click on the abnormal vital sign, lab, x-ray, etc. and make a comment when you're in the workup tab. That's how I document significant abnormalities. It automatically times it when you click, but you have an option to back time it.
I love the workup tab. I open the chart once to start the note. I fill out the HPI, ROS, exam, and maybe start my mdm. I save the note and never open it again until I am ready to sign it. I use the workup tab to enter all my reevals, comment on results, and explain stuff. The workup tab is essentially my rational or mdm. It's so convenient to be able to do all that from the tracking board without reopening the note.

I love the workup tab. I open the chart once to start the note. I fill out the HPI, ROS, exam, and maybe start my mdm. I save the note and never open it again until I am ready to sign it. I use the workup tab to enter all my reevals, comment on results, and explain stuff. The workup tab is essentially my rational or mdm. It's so convenient to be able to do all that from the tracking board without reopening the note.

I agree. Probably the best things I've seen in an Epic upgrade.

Anybody know how to delete macros? My initial ones are all jacked up and I need to redo them

In Epic? Find the name of your macro you need to delete presets (i.e., PHYSEXAMBYAGE, etc.) by right clicking on the physical exam portion of your note or your review of systems. You should see it at the top of the right click menu. Go to macro manager (it's likely under the "personalize" menu at the top of the Epic screen). Type the name of your macro and you should see a list of all your saved presets. You can edit or delete from there. You can also rearrange them.