Swine Flu, do you feel it coming?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atlrph

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can't wait for the flu season this year. Everyone is gonna freaked out. Get ready.

Members don't see this ad.

"Yes, you do need a prescription for Oseltamivir, and no, your sneezing child will not help your case."
"OK, but do you need a prescription for Tamiflu? That's what I really want." ;)

I think I should stock up on face masks right now. Pretty much all of the pharmacies in town ran out of them a few months ago when the scare first started and I bet that I could have easily sold them for 100 bucks a piece out of the trunk of my car if I had any.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't wait for the flu season this year. Everyone is gonna freaked out. Get ready.

Son just diagnosed with it several weeks ago here in NY. Resolved quickly x 3 days with no complications.

As they should be. I have been saying this from the start and I am going to say it again. The first season's strain is usually not the one you should be worried about. Its the next one. If history is right (spanish flu and aviane), swine flu will cause more deaths this season than last. It is already hitting South American nations (in their second swine flu season now) pretty hard.

Also keep in mind that the peak of the flu is late Feb to March... so dont let numbers from winter fool you.

I better get on top of investing in some Relenza/Tamiflu stock!

Do I feel it coming? Nope. I don't feel a thing... except for maybe a bunch of doctors acting like idiots...

:banana:

Do I feel it coming? Nope. I don't feel a thing... except for maybe a bunch of doctors acting like idiots...

:banana:

How about this doctor's acting like idiots?

So, I recently aggravated my knee injury by running against some other guy to try to get to the car to sit shotgun. Knee is all swollen and everything, I'm suspecting that I tore another ligament and re-tore the meniscus. X-Rays came back negative just as I suspected, I will probably need an MRI.

So I told the doctor I'm taking 800 mg ibuprofen TID for the pain but its ****ing around with my GI system. He says to continue taking it, I do that for 2 days before I say enough is enough and decide to call the doctor so he can call something else in.

What does he call in? Relafen (Nabumetone), another ****ing NSAID. Any sense in this? Wouldn't it have made more sense to go with a narcotic?

Sparda

I'm no physician, but from what I have read, people will present with GI discomfort from some NSAIDs, and not others. For example, I cannot stomach Naproxen at all, but I can Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen without a problem at all. My wife, OTOH, can't take Acetaminophen, but can take Ibuprofen and Naproxen, and the list goes on.

It's possible that he didn't want to simply slap you onto an Opiate just because you can't stomach 2400mg/day Ibuprofen. But, I'm sure a more experienced Pharmacy student can slap me down and correct me, I'm eager to learn.

So, I recently aggravated my knee injury by running against some other guy to try to get to the car to sit shotgun. Knee is all swollen and everything, I'm suspecting that I tore another ligament and re-tore the meniscus. X-Rays came back negative just as I suspected, I will probably need an MRI.

So I told the doctor I'm taking 800 mg ibuprofen TID for the pain but its ****ing around with my GI system. He says to continue taking it, I do that for 2 days before I say enough is enough and decide to call the doctor so he can call something else in.

What does he call in? Relafen (Nabumetone), another ****ing NSAID. Any sense in this? Wouldn't it have made more sense to go with a narcotic?

And kids, What we have here, is a Drug Addict. You DON'T want to grow up like him....trying to get narcotics any chance he can :laugh:

Just kidding, Buddy. Hope the knee gets better and you didn't tear anything too important.

Nope, no anti-inflammatory. High doses of NSAIDs can have the same analgesic effect as opiates for orthopedic pain with added benefit of alleviating the inflammatory process.

The local newspaper went from,
"Still no sign of swine flu in Southern Oregon - 04-29-2009"
"County opens swine flu hotline tonight - 04-30-2009"
"First swine flu case confirmed in (Jackson) county - 05-23-2009" and recently
"Klamath County man gets swine flu - 07-25-2009
"Klamath Falls Man Dies From Swine Flu Complications"

Despite the long odds (~1.1% here in Oregon), the 33 yr old male died of swine flu at the hospital last week. Classic flu symptoms with multiple organ failure at the end of the yellow brick road; believe me, it hits home when the person dying is close to your age, just down the hallway and virtually on your doorstep.

I'm just getting over the less virulent garden-variety flu as I write this. I was never overly concerned but I was careful to closely monitor my condition. We'd all like to believe it will never happen to us.

Last edited:

Might have made sense to keep the IB and add a PPI. [/thread drift]

Swine flu: I received a flyer from my vaccine supplier saying, "Be prepared for the Universal Vaccination Program this coming influenza season," before instructing me to send back any leftover stock of last season's flu vaccine.

Universal Vaccination Program???

Might have made sense to keep the IB and add a PPI. [/thread drift]

Swine flu: I received a flyer from my vaccine supplier saying, "Be prepared for the Universal Vaccination Program this coming influenza season," before instructing me to send back any leftover stock of last season's flu vaccine.

Universal Vaccination Program???

Suppose they're thinking about going large scale with the vaccinations? And I've heard the H1N1 may possibly require 2 separate doses...plus the usual flu vaccine.

Anyone remember the global pandemic that came out of bird flu? Oh wait...

Anybody hear the rumours there's going to be mandatory universal vaccination? On another site, I debunked it as unenforceable, but then other people weighed in, saying that's a good idea, they'd support it, and they'd report their neighbours if they knew they were non-compliant (!)

I imagine in the US such a thing would be a violation of your constitutional rights.

Anybody hear the rumours there's going to be mandatory universal vaccination? On another site, I debunked it as unenforceable, but then other people weighed in, saying that's a good idea, they'd support it, and they'd report their neighbours if they knew they were non-compliant (!)

I imagine in the US such a thing would be a violation of your constitutional rights.

If there is an official declaration of a "state of disaster" in the area in which you live, I think the government can force citizens to be vaccinated and individual rights would be secondary to the protection of public health.

I took a basic disaster life support course a few months back and I seem to remember that if the state (at least in the state where I practice) declares a state of disaster, then the governor has executive power to order whatever is deemed necessary to protect the public health. This would include quarantines and also mandatory vaccinations in the interest of protecting the public.

I read that the H1N1 vaccine is expected to be available Oct. 15. Are pharmacists in retail setting going to be able to administer them?