Switch from IM to EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dannyd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just started my internship in a categorical IM program. I never enjoyed long-term management and I hate rounds. I do love the diagnostic part of medicine and procedures. I finished my EM rotation and I realized that I would be really happy doing it.
I can't apply to this year's EM match since I am in a categorical position. I have been thinking of finishing up the intern year and look for empty spots or switches/swaps.
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Talk to your program director and talk to the local EM dept about your goals. They may be able to get you another EM month and help you start the process of changing specialties. I don't know whether that is true, but I wouldn't assume you can't apply for the match because you've got a categorical spot. Clearly you're going to have to leave your spot if you move forward with this. Planning on an open slot or a swap is quite a gamble. The match is much more reliable and equitable. But people change residencies all the time; it's inconvenient but not that big a deal. Better sooner than later, and you should do what you think will make you happy in the long run.