switch from IM to psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Parkerson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was in an IM residency program several yrs ago. planned to switch to a psychiatry program at the end of 1st yr. it was not successful. the program wanted me to repeat 1st yr because they think my performance did not meet their expectation. since my interest was not in IM, i left the program. since then i have been practing as a psychiatric nurse for last 3 yrs. i have a master level nurse degree before i went to the IM program. after the contract with my current employer, i plan to apply for a psychiatric residency program 2011. my credentials are listed below:

step1: 90
step2: 87
CS: passed
step3: 88
psych USCE 3 yrs
6 yrs research with 9 publications
PhD from home country

please advice, what is my chance to get into a psych program? how to explain my failure in an IM program? i just dont know what to do, what to say. how to improve my credentials?

thank you for advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I guess your chances depend, given your credentials, on why you repeatedly had borderline passing scores and why you didn't do so well in PGY-1. Was it a language issue, a work ethic issue? I'm not criticizing or asking you to answer out loud, necessarily, but you should know the answer to these questions and be prepared to give them to an interviewer. Especially the part about refusing to repeat your IM PGY-1 after the program asked you to.

If you don't know, then you need to do some soul-searching and find out. You can best allay a program's fears about your performance by demonstrating that you have "done the work" of addressing your performance failures psychologically as well as with your resume stats.

I guess your chances depend, given your credentials, on why you repeatedly had borderline passing scores and why you didn't do so well in PGY-1. Was it a language issue, a work ethic issue? I'm not criticizing or asking you to answer out loud, necessarily, but you should know the answer to these questions and be prepared to give them to an interviewer. Especially the part about refusing to repeat your IM PGY-1 after the program asked you to.

If you don't know, then you need to do some soul-searching and find out. You can best allay a program's fears about your performance by demonstrating that you have "done the work" of addressing your performance failures psychologically as well as with your resume stats. 12-13-2010 05:04 PMI guess your chances depend, given your credentials, on why you repeatedly had borderline passing scores and why you didn't do so well in PGY-1. Was it a language issue, a work ethic issue? I'm not criticizing or asking you to answer out loud, necessarily, but you should know the answer to these questions and be prepared to give them to an interviewer. Especially the part about refusing to repeat your IM PGY-1 after the program asked you to.

If you don't know, then you need to do some soul-searching and find out. You can best allay a program's fears about your performance by demonstrating that you have "done the work" of addressing your performance failures psychologically as well as with your resume stats. 12-13-2010 05:04 PM

thanks divine furor for your valuable advice

i was the only resident whose first language was not english. at the beginning of the residency, i was slow like other residents, probably slower. i was the one picked on by two of the attendings. the main problem was i could not express myself well. then i was put on a special program in the middle of the 1st yr. there was no detailed information regarding how to improve my performance. they just told me that i need to watch some videos, which i never received from them. after the intrim exam, my score was top #3 among 24 residents in my class. so my supervisor told me that i did not need the special program any more. instead, i need to be involved in accent modification class. one of the attending told me that my accent was very thick. then i did it. 3 months later, my evaluations from the language pathologist was very high. towards the end of the 1st yr, i could take care of 10-15 pts during the day, and admitted 4-6 pts on night shift. those were the average numbers an intern could take. i was the one who worked hardest among the residents, even PD wrote that on my evaluation. at the end of the 1st yr, the PD told me i will go to the 2nd yr along the rest of the class.

i guess i was too stressed out in that program, i was really tired of being picked on all the time. i didnot know how to spend the rest of time in that program. so i asked the PD whether i could transfer to another psychiatric program (i had 3 yrs of psychiatric experience in my home country). the next day, a group meeting was held, including a chief resident, old PD and new PD. i was told that my performance did not meet their expectation, and i was fired from the program. i did not know how to respond to that. i remember i said OK. then the PD led me to his office and told me that if i wanted to stay, i had to start fresh. i was a little bit hesitant, but thinking of being picked on again for the next 3 yrs, i said i might need more time. then he told to write a resign letter. i sent it to him next day. several months later, i started to work as a psychiatric nurse until today.

i could not face the fact for last several yr. i thought i should just work as a nurse as my career, it is OK. i have been doing a great job. my superviors here are very supportive. one of them knew my situation because one of her friends is a faculty member in that program. i should give myself another chance. i plan to apply for a psych program next yr and tell the programs what happened. but i dont know how to tell them. i know i can't say anything bad about the previous program. but i can say, my performance did not meet their expectation even though it was not all my fault.

any help is highly appreciated.