Switch from PA to premed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDream

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted this in the pre allo forum, though I'd get some perspective from the flip side as well...

I'm a sophomore in a BS PA program. I started my college career with the idea of going to medical school, but I somewhere second guessed myself and thought, when would I have time to raise a family? The idea of being in school until my thirties, (I am 22 now) was something that made me think I would be limited in a family respect so I researched PA school and at the last minute (and I do mean last, i interviewed in april and started in september) applied to one and got accepted. So I jsut finished my first semester in the program technically thirs year of school. But everytime I watch trauma, read anything medically related or think of my future I found myself feeling like I'm falling short and that my ultimate goal is still to be a doctor. So Winter break is almost over and I'm really labouring over my decision. I looked up the biology degree requirements at my school and I could realistically be done in a year and a half including this next semester. So I'm giving myself a few more days to pour over this before I email the chair of biology to discuss a change of major. I also wonder if I could get physics 1 done this semester and take physics 2 in the summer in time to take the August 2005 mcat. The only other prereq that is absolutely necessary for me to go into the mcat with is organic 2 which i can take this semester as well.

So I guess I'm just looking for any thoughts and opinions. Suggestions. I think I know in my heart switching to PA was a knee jerk reaction to my fears about career dominating my life and having no room for children.

I should also mention that I am a Canadian student studying in the USA. This obviously will make it that much harder to get into med scool should i switch. I have been with my boyfriend a US citizen for five years, and we have been discussing marriage. I am wodering if I should take that plunge as awful as it sounds, sooner rather than later because it may work to my advantage to at least get permanent residency. Though I don't know if realistically, it can be accomplished int he time slot I am working within. One other thing is he is applying to medical school for 2006, so if I did take the mcat this aug, we'd be competing against each other which sounds kind of weird.

Please excuse any typos, I am jittery with stress over this decision and typing a mile a minute. :confused: :eek:

Thanks for listening.

Members don't see this ad.

You should change majors...you are young & have plenty of time. Don't worry so much about needing to fit your life into some kind of timeline proposed by society/culture etc. The PA profession deserves those who are committed to that career ideal. Sounds like you are regretting your decision, so you should change your major now before more of your time & money passes away.

Just my two cents worth..
M

EMDream said:
Posted this in the pre allo forum, though I'd get some perspective from the flip side as well...

I'm a sophomore in a BS PA program. I started my college career with the idea of going to medical school, but I somewhere second guessed myself and thought, when would I have time to raise a family? The idea of being in school until my thirties, (I am 22 now) was something that made me think I would be limited in a family respect so I researched PA school and at the last minute (and I do mean last, i interviewed in april and started in september) applied to one and got accepted. So I jsut finished my first semester in the program technically thirs year of school. But everytime I watch trauma, read anything medically related or think of my future I found myself feeling like I'm falling short and that my ultimate goal is still to be a doctor. So Winter break is almost over and I'm really labouring over my decision. I looked up the biology degree requirements at my school and I could realistically be done in a year and a half including this next semester. So I'm giving myself a few more days to pour over this before I email the chair of biology to discuss a change of major. I also wonder if I could get physics 1 done this semester and take physics 2 in the summer in time to take the August 2005 mcat. The only other prereq that is absolutely necessary for me to go into the mcat with is organic 2 which i can take this semester as well.

So I guess I'm just looking for any thoughts and opinions. Suggestions. I think I know in my heart switching to PA was a knee jerk reaction to my fears about career dominating my life and having no room for children.

I should also mention that I am a Canadian student studying in the USA. This obviously will make it that much harder to get into med scool should i switch. I have been with my boyfriend a US citizen for five years, and we have been discussing marriage. I am wodering if I should take that plunge as awful as it sounds, sooner rather than later because it may work to my advantage to at least get permanent residency. Though I don't know if realistically, it can be accomplished int he time slot I am working within. One other thing is he is applying to medical school for 2006, so if I did take the mcat this aug, we'd be competing against each other which sounds kind of weird.

Please excuse any typos, I am jittery with stress over this decision and typing a mile a minute. :confused: :eek:

Thanks for listening.

You know, one other option is to finish the bachelor degree in PA. Take the next semester to get through physics 2 and study for the mcat. I don't believe that organic 2 is needed for the mcat. I believe all the organic chem that is tested is to the level of organic 1. You'll probably be really well prepared to do well in med school with a PA background. You have youth on your side so whichever direction you choose will likely get you to your goal of med school. The question now becomes one of a practical sort of undergraduate education or a more abstract approach. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, EMDream is hot

I did the same thing, graduated with a life science degree in 2003 with plans to work a year and apply to PA school. But I changed my mind and am currently applying to medical school. I took Phys 1 in Spring 04 and phys 2 in Fall 04. I took April 04 MCAT and Aug04 MCAT. So I had most of physics 1 and none of 2 when I took the first MCAT. It had also been a full 2 years since taking any Bio or Chem by the time I took the MCAT. I did the Kaplan Comp review book and it taught me everthing I needed to know for the MCAT, I was working 40+ hours per week, taking 5 hours of college and studying for MCAT. I got a 33 on the August test so now my chances are looking pretty good at an acceptance.

to sum it up.

Go for it. If you take it and do poorly, then take the classes and retake the test

Good Luck