Switch Residency - Same specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vagaabqnw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone -

Basically I'm doing my Intern year in a different state than I matched for my advanced specialty (radiology).
I would like to try and stay on for radiology where I am at now and not move.
Is there a way, and if so, to try and do this? And for those who have done it or know of those who have - what avenue did they take?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Short answer is no. Long answer is noooooooooo.

You will not get a Match waiver just because "I don't want to move again". And although you can pretty easily get out of an advanced program if you choose a different specialty, you can't do so just to switch programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I think you are obligated to go the place you matched as per the agreement. You can always try to transfer afterward though, but I would advise it only if you really want your current location.

Even if:

a) your current location had a PGY-2/Rads1 position to give you

and

b) the program you matched to didn't care if you decided not honor your agreement

you can't just switch, even if all parties agree. From the NRMP:

• As stated in the Match Participation Agreement, applicants and programs are not authorized to release each other from a binding commitment. Once a party has matched, or a position has been offered and accepted during SOAP®, a waiver of the binding commitment may be obtained only from the NRMP. Moreover, the Agreement also prohibits any program at a Match-participating institution from offering a concurrent year position to an applicant who has not received a waiver from the NRMP. The decision to grant or deny the waiver is at the sole discretion of the NRMP and is not subject to arbitration.

Even if:

a) your current location had a PGY-2/Rads1 position to give you

and

b) the program you matched to didn't care if you decided not honor your agreement

you can't just switch, even if all parties agree. From the NRMP:

• As stated in the Match Participation Agreement, applicants and programs are not authorized to release each other from a binding commitment. Once a party has matched, or a position has been offered and accepted during SOAP®, a waiver of the binding commitment may be obtained only from the NRMP. Moreover, the Agreement also prohibits any program at a Match-participating institution from offering a concurrent year position to an applicant who has not received a waiver from the NRMP. The decision to grant or deny the waiver is at the sole discretion of the NRMP and is not subject to arbitration.

Interesting. So would they be able to 'switch' after starting and come back to this area somehow?
I guess I have heard of residents 'swapping' or switching positions and things like that and was not sure how they went about doing so...

Hey everyone -

Basically I'm doing my Intern year in a different state than I matched for my advanced specialty (radiology).
I would like to try and stay on for radiology where I am at now and not move.
Is there a way, and if so, to try and do this? And for those who have done it or know of those who have - what avenue did they take?

Thanks in advance.

I too thought it was able to be done, but it is sounding like it is more difficult/impossible to do...

Interesting. So would they be able to 'switch' after starting and come back to this area somehow?
I guess I have heard of residents 'swapping' or switching positions and things like that and was not sure how they went about doing so...
Technically, all he has to do is show up for his PGY-2 position and stay 45 days (IIRC) to honor his match commitment.

So, yes if his current program would hold the position for him, he could start in the other state, inform them they will not be finishing the year, and then return to his current state, leaving a wake of possible angry people behind.

Residents who "swap" tend to do so *after* the match commitment has already been honored; this is a different situation. In the former, they have to have the agreement of both programs which can be difficult to obtain.

Technically, all he has to do is show up for his PGY-2 position and stay 45 days (IIRC) to honor his match commitment.

So, yes if his current program would hold the position for him, he could start in the other state, inform them they will not be finishing the year, and then return to his current state, leaving a wake of possible angry people behind.
I typed this all out too and then deleted it because this likelihood of this specific scenario happening approaches 0 so I figured I wouldn't bother.

But technically, yes, this is "possible". Not practical or realistic...but possible I guess.

But if the whole purpose is not to move at all and stay put, leaving and then coming back just defeats the whole purpose. Seems like a messy hassle for everyone.

But if the whole purpose is not to move at all and stay put, leaving and then coming back just defeats the whole purpose. Seems like a messy hassle for everyone.
Of course. We understand that. But the users above asked about options. I didn't say it was a good or even mediocre option.

However if the OP doesn't show up for his advanced Rads position and stay for the prerequisite time, he will be in violation of his match agreement. Then his current program (presuming they are a program that uses the match) won't take him then and the program he dumped won't want him either. So he's left with nothing.

It's more than a messy hassle.