switch specialty

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by OnceNFutureMD, 10.01.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. OnceNFutureMD

OnceNFutureMD

Attending Physician
    I am a Graduate from US Medical School (allopathic). Panicked during step 1 and barely passed by a few points. Rushed STeped 2, to correct my mistake in step 1 without addressing my testing anxiety..failed it.

Passed Step 2 the second time. Was pushed into internal Medicine by my advisers (as not matching was bad for the school stats) and I too did not want to be the student that does not match. At the time IM made sense as it had many fellowships to go into. I kept my head down, worked hard and passed step 3 1st time. And I just finished my IM residency this June from University program.

Now that I have time to think, looking back I really enjoyed my time in Psychiatry and now that I completed IM residency, I realize that its not for me. I am planning on working as hospitalist for couple of years and then applying for Psychiatry. What do you guys think? How should I go about doing this?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. st2205

st2205 PGY4 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'd say it depends on how you feel as you're now out making money. Of you're wanting to make money for now, then by all means do so. If you're wanting to get out of what you're doing, and you're sure about psychiatry, then start applying for PGY2 spots beginning now. You could also moonlight in psychiatric settings to see if it really is something you want to do (though this won't give you the whole picture).

4. Leo Aquarius

Leo Aquarius Anxiety.org Schizophrenia.com DepressionHealth.net 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If and when you decide to apply to Psychiatry, apply to PGY2 spots. You will have some top names interested in you.

5. OnceNFutureMD

OnceNFutureMD

Attending Physician
    Thank you for the encouragement.

I have looked at PGY2 spots but now that I am older, I need to work for bit support my family some and then go back.

But I am thinking I will look to do some shifts at psychiatric hospitals as a start, and see where that goes. Once again thank you.

6. TexasPhysician

TexasPhysician SDN Moderator 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Verified
    Physician
    Definitely get strong psych experience. Having completed a residency, you have significantly reduced residency funding. More and more psych programs automatically eliminate applicants with reduced funding. You may have it tough to get in. Good luck with everything.

7. Merovinge

Merovinge 2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    We have an attending who did a psychiatry residency first then returned to complete an IM residency. He mainly does psychiatry C/L but also does some straight IM outpatient and a few weeks of IM inpatient. He comes to our psychosis clinic and will act as a PCP for those with metabolic problems or just to see them at the same time if they are too disorganized to get a PCP. He can even see someone on the C/L service and have them follow up with him for both medical and psychiatric concerns. If you have any interest in the cross-section of IM and psych I feel its a big advantage to have such an attending at an academic institute.

Shikima likes this.

About the ads