leu345

10+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2008
Status
Post Doc
My impression is that the tranditional private practice is vanishing, and many of us will work in academic settings, where likely you don't need to touch CP at all. So is it wise to switch to AP only, spend the extra year to do research or do another fellowship? Anyone have inputs? Thanks.

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
I would hold off and see what is actually going to happen.

Community hospitals are still going to need pathologists.

Gyric

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
Status
I agree, I think it is too early to do this. Especially since you only need 18 months of CP, some of which is actually useful for AP; the remainder is essentially paid boards study time.

Converse

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2002
California
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Many community hospitals hire. You may want to work in one as you become older and more experienced. You may tire of academia. Community generally has better pay, hours, and no teaching or research. You may find your future spouse, home, etc is near a community hospital, etc...

You would be surprised how many positions in academia want AP/CP, even if the work is AP only. You may also be biased against when competing against AP/CPers who are applying for the same position. Many ppl are doing 2 fellowships anyway. You will have to face annoying questions (ie, everyone in every interview will ask you why you did AP only). Unless you know someone and are on an AP/derm or AP/GI fellowship track, I say don't do it and spend the next year like everyone else.

Last edited:

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
I have been told that the only way to know for sure if a resident plans on an academic career is if they are AP only. Basically saying that if they were truly committed then they would have no need to do AP/CP and until a resident drops CP you can't trust that they aren't just saying they are interested in academics to score some brownie points.

I'm not saying I believe that; just that is what I've been told.

yaah

Boring
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Fixing in 10% neutral buffered formalin
Status
Attending Physician
I have heard pretty much all perspectives on this. I know of people who did AP only and went into private practice, including some who were going to have to cover some CP call (maybe with backup for liability reasons? I am not sure) even though they had not done CP. I know academics who did AP/CP and then regretted doing CP. I know academics who did this and did not regret it. I know academics who did AP-only but regretted not doing CP because they felt it was preventing them from taking a good private practice job.

I do know that my group almost certainly would not hire an AP-only person unless they were doing something that we couldn't pass up (and I can't think of what that is). Because if we did then they couldn't cover call.