Switch Tracks Prior to Starting Intern Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wearywanderer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th year student and I recently matched into the primary care track. However, I more so see myself becoming a hospitalist/intensivist with the possibility of pursuing subspecialties including cardiology. Do you think I'd be able to switch into the categorical track, and if so, how do I start/handle this conversation with my program directors? I'd like to do this now so I don't blindside them later.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd greatly appreciate the advice of any program directors out there or anyone who's done this before. I want to do this carefully and respectfully.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
One could ask why you would rank a PC track if you don't see yourself going into PC.

Response will be very program dependent. Some won't care. Some will, may have a completely different curriculum for PC residents.

One could ask why you would rank a PC track if you don't see yourself going into PC.

Response will be very program dependent. Some won't care. Some will, may have a completely different curriculum for PC residents.

I could see myself doing PC too, but after hearing from close family members (also IM) who are working like crazy in the hospital these past few weeks, I was reminded how much I really enjoy inpatient and especially ICU medicine.

My program allocates more weeks to ambulatory care in Y2 and Y3 at the expense of mainly subspecialty consult weeks and some ICU and elective/research weeks, but I think Y1 is roughly the same.

Last edited:
Well then I probably wouldn't mention it now, since it won't make much difference in your first year. Whether they will let you switch later is unknown -- if they specifically matched PC residents to help staff ambulatory care, they may not be flexible in letting you switch. Or they may not care at all.

I would suggest doing your first year and seeing how you like it. Many people in primary care pathways still go on to practice inpatient medicine or subspecialize.

Mulling over what you and @aProgDirector have said, I'm starting to feel that I should at least go through half or more of my first year before deciding to change. I just hope that the option is available down the line, because I would really value the much greater ICU and inpatient subspecialty time the categorical track offers in Y2/3.