Switched to rads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pedsrads

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone switched into radiology from a different residency? I'm starting my pediatrics residency in July. I've since decided I want to pursue pediatric radiology, so my plan is to do a (required) prelim year i peds, then hope to find an open spot starting in 2007-2008. Does anyone know if I will have to plan to interview at the same time as regular applicants? And do it through ERAS? I'm trying to figure out when to request vacation. If I have to, I'll apply as a PGY-2 in 2008, but I'm a little older and want to start ASAP.

Also, any idea where I can find out which programs (if any) have PGY-2 spots available for 2007?
Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

- radiology is full of 'ex-somethings'. mostly surgery residents who see the light in 3rd year (when they realize that the misery doesn't get better as you advance), internists (who realize that it is just 1 year more than one of their fellowships) and the occasional ex-pediatrician (after they reealize that the only thing worse than peds-patient parents are pediatricians).

- the switch can be done. If you want to go through the match you'll probably have to wait out a year (there are few if any PGY-2 positions in the match for the same year). Unless you match for a 5 year spot including internship and they are willing to credit you with your prior training an shorten your time at the back-end (or credit it as a fellowship).

- if you don't want to go through the match, you will have to find a spot yourself. While there is a list of open positions on the APDR (program directors conference) website, it is completely outdated and a holdover from times when rads programs had difficulty filling. You will have to contact prograns you are interested in, send them your CV, hope for something to pop up (usually if a resident manages to get into a orthopedics, neurosurgery or ENT slot).

Thanks, that information is helpful. I'm actually planning to go into pediatric radiology. Peds is way more interesting to me than adult medicine, and one of the reasons I applied in peds in the first place is that I liked working with pediatricians.

By february, you will be begging for a medicine internship just to make the pain go away.