switching from AP/CP to AP only?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beary

Pancytopenic
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm just finishing my first month of a combined AP/CP residency and am toying with the idea of switching to AP only. I don't really see myself doing much with CP long term - I think I will probably do a subspecialty surg path fellowship. The only thing I would still be considering in the CP realm is heme.

Has anybody switched after starting residency? Was that ok with your program? Also, what is the third year of AP only? It seems like either AP only or CP only should just be 2 years since doing both is 4.

If switching to AP only would really only save me a year, I will probably stick with both since that will leave me the opportunity to do heme and maybe get involved in research during CP months.

Thanks for any thoughts! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you have very specific plans for your future, I would recommend staying with the combined program. For many, CP is relatively laid back, anyway, and having both WILL increase your job opportunities.

If it's possible would probably be very program-specific. Some structure their program so you essentially have to start over. Also, it could mess up their residency slot scheduling, but as I said, that would be questions that could probably only be answered by your own PD.

Don't switch! I'm getting sick of CP only call. Too many AP onlys.

My thought is that it is only one extra year anyway, and the CP months come in handy for catching up on stuff. This month I have been juggling 3 active research projects and one old one, which I would not have been able to do on AP.

And don't make your decision when you are on a CP month!

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. CP has its annoyances, but overall it's pretty chill, and it's not a bad deal to have some respite from the grueling AP months. Besides, unless you're stone cold sold on academics, dropping the CP will make you about 60 times less employable, even if the private practice jobs you might be interested in are 95% AP.

Just wait until you're getting crushed one day on surgical pathology, those hours whittled away on Chemistry reading Henry will seem like a beautiful dream.

yaah said:
Don't switch! I'm getting sick of CP only call. Too many AP onlys.

:laugh: OK yaah. I won't switch just for you. ;)

Seriously, thanks for the unanimous advice. Sounds like staying the course is the way to go. Appreciate your thoughts. :thumbup: