switching from Fm to Anes....????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adrenalin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can any soul guide me as to how easy would it be to switch from FM to ANES..

I' m intrested in doing anes....is it possible to get into anes after my 3 yrs in fm..?

also will i have to do right from pgy-1 or i can start from pgy-2/ca-1..?

what should i do to make my self more appealing for anes..?

also my usmle step-1 score is 91/224..? do they consider step-1 scores or both..though i hve passed all my steps ..or will they consider my in total application for anes...also i'm Fmg and curently on j-1..

plz some 1 help me...:(

Members don't see this ad.

I think you would be able to start from PGY2/CA1. I'm not sure how easy it would be 4 u. There are other posts out there about how to get started (i.e. go through match or finding outside the match positions).

i'm sure i do not want to be practising as family physician....

do i have a chance..? can some1 suggets me somethin'..?

Members don't see this ad :)
What exactly is a troll? How do trolls cause any harm? (note...I am not being a smart*#&, I seriously do not know). Thanks.

Hey guyz i'm seriously looking some1 to help me out...i dont want to be doing something i dont have professional satisfaction in.....i'm not faking it all i seek is some advice who would guide me thru'..i'm sorry ventdependent....if you feel that way....i alwayz wanted to do anes...but thought of doing primary care 1st...for ayear and then see..but i now feel that i still have my heart and soul in doin anes.....plz help guyz..

I'll take you seriously.
I started out in FM. Internship then 5 years in the Navy practicing primary care/flight surgeon.
Applied out of match directly to programs I was interested in. Received many invites to interview. I found that many were interested in my military background.
Did NOT have to repeat internship....this is a waste of your time.
Started CA-1 in 2005, just about to finish and start a CCM fellowship. It was THE best decision to leave primary care and go into anesthesia, as I love my job!

how much trouble you have may depend on how many years of fp residency you have done. if your total residency time is greater than 4 or 5 years, not sure which, the government will not reimburse the residency program for your salary which means the program will have to pay out of pocket. call everywhere you would want to go and apply. i don't blame you for wanting out of fp and anes is the best...good luck :luck::luck::luck: