Switching from IM to Psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ulnar nerve

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting an IM residency in Chicago this June and am interested in switching to a Psychiatry residency in Chicago instead. Does anyone have the opposite problem and want to swap with me? Or have any ideas how to go about doing this?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't really know, but here's what I'd probably do.

Contact the secretaries of several Chicago psych residency Prgram Directors and try to get a brief 15 min appt. to discuss switching to psych. Have a brief (2 min) argument prepared explaining why A) you believe you're better suited for psych than IM, B) you can make a better contribution to medicine in psych than IM, and C) why you didn't realize all this until now. Then ask for advice on how one might go about trying to arrange the switch. Try to let the PD do most of the talking. When he/she asks you if you are wanting to try to enter that program, have a list of reasons (do your homework - like you did to get the IM residency) why you think that program would be a good match for you, and vice versa. Dress/behave as if it's a formal residency match interview.

I'm hoping others in the forum with more direct experience will chime in.

I am starting an IM residency in Chicago this June and am interested in switching to a Psychiatry residency in Chicago instead. Does anyone have the opposite problem and want to swap with me? Or have any ideas how to go about doing this?

Im in the same position as you...its as if I woke up and realized what I got myself into. What is your plan? Im not sure what to do either.

Members don't see this ad :)
i am in the same boat. i guess i will have to go thru the match all over again or find a pgy2 (pgy1.5) somewhere.

Im in the same position as you...its as if I woke up and realized what I got myself into. What is your plan? Im not sure what to do either.
I think at this point your best bet is probably to go ahead and do the first year in IM but start networking so you can try for a PGY-2 spot in psych next year.
That will also give you more time to see if the switch is really what you want and be sure it's not just because of feeling nervous about starting residency. Good luck!