Switching from Pre-Optometry to Pre-PA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreOptometryKid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated from undergrad at a pretty good school with a sorta low GPA 3.1-3.2. I was pre-optometry and I have actually finished most of my apps for optometry school. I have been working in an optometrist's office for a while and I think I might want to go the PA route instead after getting to know optometry better. I am very new to the PA thing. What are the pros and cons of both compared to each other?

I know I have to take the GRE (that's accepted by most PA schools right?), take Anatomy, and also try and get more exposure with a PA. Is there anything else I should do? What is a good way to see what a PA does?

I have all the prerequisites done except for Anatomy which I can take. What things should I do to boost my PA application? I've worked in a research lab, optometrist's office and have volunteered a lot in multiple hospitals. I am guessing my application will have to be for the next cycle anyways so what should I do to get started?

Thanks!​

Members don't see this ad.

Schools that accept lower GPAs require plenty of paid healthcare experience. Schools that don't require much HCE are the ones that typically require very high GPAs(think med school GPAs).

Once you've decided that becoming a PA is for you, your next step is to get certified in something(EMT, LVN, etc.) and get a year or two worth of paid experience before applying.

Shadow a PA so that you can make very certain you can be OK with the type job we do. The first week after landing your first job is not the time to find out you hate it......

Members don't see this ad :)
Schools that accept lower GPAs require plenty of paid healthcare experience. Schools that don't require much HCE are the ones that typically require very high GPAs(think med school GPAs).

Once you've decided that becoming a PA is for you, your next step is to get certified in something(EMT, LVN, etc.) and get a year or two worth of paid experience before applying.

I don't know if I would recommend becoming licensed as an LVN. I believe this is like becoming an LPN. If this is so, the training would probably take too long (i.e. 12-18 months full time). Not to mention you would have to take a licensing examination.

Find out from the school if experience as a CNA, HHA, Rehab Tech, PCA, transporter, ect. would be acceptable.

Last edited:
PSYCHNP Find out from the school if experience as a CNA said:
As a prior adcom member at 2 programs I can tell you that higher level experience(medic/rn/rt/lpn) > lower level experience every time.

Dear Mr. Emed, not to cause any controversy, I noticed physician associate as one of your titles.

Is physician associate the official title for PAs now?

Last edited:
Dear Mr. Emed, not to cause any controversy, I noticed physician associate as one of your titles.

Is physician associate the official title for PA's now?

at some places...and coming soon nationally....do a search...it has been covered extensively in the last yr...
http://www.afppa.org/index.php?opti...to-associate&catid=3:general-public&Itemid=11

it's Just a matter of time now...10 years ago folks said there would never be a pa to physician bridge program and the first opened this yr with several other programs in the works...I really thought the associate thing would be official nationally before a bridge program but I was pleasantly surprised...this has been in the works for a long time...45 yrs and counting....

Last edited by a moderator:
it's Just a matter of time now...10 years ago folks said there would never be a pa to physician bridge program and the first opened this yr with several other programs in the works...I really thought the associate thing would be official nationally before a bridge program but I was pleasantly surprised...this has been in the works for a long time...45 yrs and counting....

I thought the first PA program at Duke with Victor H. Germino, Kenneth F. Ferrell and Richard J. Scheele, were called Physician Associate's?

I thought the first PA program at Duke with Victor H. Germino, Kenneth F. Ferrell and Richard J. Scheele, were called Physician Associate's?

interestingly enough the first signature on the consensus document for name change of "100 prominent pa's" is victor germino. several aapa past presidents, pa program directors, and high ranking military officers are on there as well. both the family medicine pa society and the society of air force pa's have signed on with more specialty societies lining up to sign on. the ball is rolling. it's just a matter of time like the pa to doc bridge program.

interestingly enough the first signature on the consensus document for name change of "100 prominent pa's" is victor germino. several aapa past presidents, pa program directors, and high ranking military officers are on there as well. both the family medicine pa society and the society of air force pa's have signed on with more specialty societies lining up to sign on. the ball is rolling. it's just a matter of time like the pa to doc bridge program.

FYI I've been reading this book (PA: Policy & practice btw) that goes pretty indepth of the name issue for PAs and it states that initially (late 60's) there were 3 "types" of PA programs: type A, B & C. To differentiate the superior "Type A" PA programs from the lesser type b&c programs, all the type A programs changed their name from "physician assistant" to "physician's associate". Along with duke, yale, stanford, oklahoma, and others, their name was changed to associate. Eventually within the next 4-6 years all the type b&c programs ceased to exist or were lengthened/upgraded to "type A" status and it was at that time the AMA called for the change back to assistant. Many of the original programs still retain their original title and recently some are changing back to the original title and others are in the process of doing so.

Although, this is clearly a tangent and probably not even relevant to this fellow pre-opt/pre-pa's question.

Last edited:
Why did you WANT to become an optometrist? Why do you desire to become a PA? These are important things to consider.

I chose optometry (besides the obvious care for wanting to help people) because of it's flexibility. I can decide for myself if I want to work for someone else or own a private practice. Similar perks go for Dentists, Podiatrists, and Physicians.

I think that PAs are very knowledgeable and are good at what they do. They are generally more approachable, have great bedside manner, and most importantly, they are significant in the healthcare system. Unfortunately, there are limitations (as any other profession) to what PAs can and cannot do. One of these is running their own practice.

I looked into going to PA school as well, but after I researched it some more, I went back to optometry. I'm happy with my decision. Ultimately, what changed my mind, was shadowing a PA. I loved the patient interaction, but I saw that the PA had a load of paper work to do that was half his patients, half the physician's patients. This was a huge turn off to me.. I don't want to work "under" a physician for the rest of my life.

PAs are trying to make changes to rid of these limitations, but whether or not they will be fulfilled- only time will tell. To me, it wasn't looking very promising..

Why did you WANT to become an optometrist? Why do you desire to become a PA? These are important things to consider.

I chose optometry (besides the obvious care for wanting to help people) because of it's flexibility. I can decide for myself if I want to work for someone else or own a private practice. Similar perks go for Dentists, Podiatrists, and Physicians.

I think that PAs are very knowledgeable and are good at what they do. They are generally more approachable, have great bedside manner, and most importantly, they are significant in the healthcare system. Unfortunately, there are limitations (as any other profession) to what PAs can and cannot do. One of these is running their own practice.

I looked into going to PA school as well, but after I researched it some more, I went back to optometry. I'm happy with my decision. Ultimately, what changed my mind, was shadowing a PA. I loved the patient interaction, but I saw that the PA had a load of paper work to do that was half his patients, half the physician's patients. This was a huge turn off to me.. I don't want to work "under" a physician for the rest of my life.

PAs are trying to make changes to rid of these limitations, but whether or not they will be fulfilled- only time will tell. To me, it wasn't looking very promising..

Seems like you did your homework and gave your decision a lot of thought.

at some places...and coming soon nationally....do a search...it has been covered extensively in the last yr...
http://www.afppa.org/index.php?opti...to-associate&catid=3:general-public&Itemid=11

get over yourself, you shoulda just gone to medical school.

Bro. that is a bit offensive to a current PA and future doctor such as myself. P.A.'s are an intregal part of the healthcare model that deliever care in the areas that most doctors don't want to work in currently as well as during times when doctor's get to spend with their families(I worked a whole lot of hours doing rural ER over the break because no doctors wanted the shifts so they could spend time with their families which I honestly don't blame them!)

To tell a PA-Get over yourself and go to medical school is a slap at the profession unless you can point out why you are singling that person out? PA's should be proud of their profession and many of us don't want to go back to medical school(for example-The only reason I am back is due to my job paying for it because they need docs in the area and from a cost stand point it would have been a big mistake money wise to go back without their support->when I left I made 186k).

I think the name change is more appopriate(unless they would want to label NP/PA as midlevel providers and kill the other two names which I think would be fine personally...) than the current one due to us being more integrated in patient care than say a MA(which a lot of people think a PA is). Also we as medical students should be VERY proud of our education level and respect that of midlevels.

Anyway sorry for the rambles and apologize for typos. Been a long first day back in class.

PS-Bro I respect your opinion honestly so don't take any of this being a personal attack on you. We will be colleagues in the field in a few years and we as docs all need each other as well as the midlevels and I hope you just see my point of view as someone who is a pa and a med. student.

186k ... can I have your old job???

186k ... can I have your old job???
it's doable, just a lot of hrs.
one of my pa partners makes 200k/yr but works 24 days(240 hrs)/mo. which is basically 1.5 jobs.
I know a derm pa making 187 k for 4.5 days/week. lots of procedures.
high end surgical pa's can make bank as well. I have heard of one who made 250k working at a very successful surgical practice. his sp made around 2 million/yr.
keep in mind this pa's salary was also after a surgical residency and 20 yrs of experience with the same doc.

I was thinking that you would have to have a certified residency program and many years under your belt...

Darn I have not even graduated yet... :D

Bro. that is a bit offensive to a current PA and future doctor such as myself. P.A.'s are an intregal part of the healthcare model that deliever care in the areas that most doctors don't want to work in currently as well as during times when doctor's get to spend with their families(I worked a whole lot of hours doing rural ER over the break because no doctors wanted the shifts so they could spend time with their families which I honestly don't blame them!)

To tell a PA-Get over yourself and go to medical school is a slap at the profession unless you can point out why you are singling that person out? PA's should be proud of their profession and many of us don't want to go back to medical school(for example-The only reason I am back is due to my job paying for it because they need docs in the area and from a cost stand point it would have been a big mistake money wise to go back without their support->when I left I made 186k).

I think the name change is more appopriate(unless they would want to label NP/PA as midlevel providers and kill the other two names which I think would be fine personally...) than the current one due to us being more integrated in patient care than say a MA(which a lot of people think a PA is). Also we as medical students should be VERY proud of our education level and respect that of midlevels.

Anyway sorry for the rambles and apologize for typos. Been a long first day back in class.

PS-Bro I respect your opinion honestly so don't take any of this being a personal attack on you. We will be colleagues in the field in a few years and we as docs all need each other as well as the midlevels and I hope you just see my point of view as someone who is a pa and a med. student.

never said there was anything wrong with PAs and I have said time and again that their education is leaps and bounds ahead of NPs. However he rants about how he runs ERs all day with barely any supervision and its clear he has a big chip on his shoulder.

Being a DO student I understand the name change thing, but you knew what you were signing up for when started down the path. Physician associate is even more confusing in my opinion but wutever. When people ask me if I goto chiro school or something I just explain to them what I do, what I learn. You can change the name as many times as you want people still wont know it unless you go an educate them.

I absolutely respect the education of midlevels, especially that of the PA, but only insofar as it pertains to being a mid level. The amount of midlevels talking about how they can do all the same things as docs is nauseating (im not saying all PAs do this but there are def some). You and those I have spoken to about it are in the unique position, of going through both educations and as such I respect your opinions greatly on the matter. From what theyve told me the medical education physicians receive is on a much higher level. Its more sciences and alot more work.

Its not a matter of pride for me. As long I learn the things I need to be a good doctor I will be happy with the education. PAs should also be happy with the education. Its a great option for people who dont want to spend so much time in school, but then you have to accept the limitions that go along with the degree of training.

I really respect the fact that you wanted more scope and knowledge so you decided to go to med school instead of using some backdoor or bull**** legislation.