Switching from Radiology to Psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MinervaBR

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have done one year internal medicine and one year radiology, but I am unhappy with my choice and want to switch to psych. Do I have a chance to get in a PGY2 position? Does anyone know of any opening? I am licensed in my state and have excellent scores... but no LOR from psych!

Members don't see this ad.

I have done one year internal medicine and one year radiology, but I am unhappy with my choice and want to switch to psych. Do I have a chance to get in a PGY2 position? Does anyone know of any opening? I am licensed in my state and have excellent scores... but no LOR from psych!

First are you sure about psychiatry? What was it about Rads that you didnt like? Did you like Psychiatry in Med School? Reason I ask is because you will be asked this when applying. There are a lot of programs that lose a resident here and there for various reasons like yourself so you should be able to get a spot. Question is where. What state are you in?

I know a person who made the switch. I think you've got a good chance at finding a spot at a solid program, especially if you're attempting to start as a PGY-2. If you've got good scores, then you can try and shoot for some of the more competitive places. A number of great programs will have PGY-1s leave psych after they finish their first year.

As freudianslip said, you've got to have good explanations for why you want to switch. It's important to try and get that psych letter if possible.

Members don't see this ad :)

I think you will be allright with or without a psych. LOR. The letter from your PD is more important. Your PD/program opinion of your work the past couple of years carry more weight. My $.02

People switch into psychiatry all the times when they realize their terrible mistakes in pursuing careers in IM, rad., surgery, optho., peds., etc.. Personally, I can't imagine doing anything else.

I recommend googling apa clearinghouse and click 'view all vacancies'. In MA, there's a PGY-2 spot at st. elizabeth hosp. best of luck!

It is possible to switch from Rad to Psych, I know someone who did that successfully.

It won't go against you if do not have Pscyh recomm. as it is understood that you did not have any Psych rotation as part of your Official training in the last one year. But you will definitely need a Letter (Excellent one..preferably)from your Program Director, and two or three letters from your Faculty. The accepting Program can not give you credit for your first year without the letter from your current PD. You have to be convincing for your reason/s for transfer- and expecting less work should not be one of them.

I will be gald to be of any help.

All the best.

check out the apa clearinghouse. it is possible.

I agree with Psychintern2006-with good scores and a year of medicine, you can certainly find a program that would take you as a PGY-2-but only if you give a clear and convincing set of reasons for the switch. Psychiatry is a field which a number of doctors come to as a second career, both during residency and after practicing for a while. Good luck!