Switching gap year jobs right after applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kkrossy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve been working as a scribe/MA for almost 6 months now and I was recently offered a scribe job at a different clinic that would start at the end of May (so I would have 8 months at my current job, >1000 hours). I really want to take it because my current job is becoming increasingly toxic. I’m always walking on eggshells with my boss and it’s causing me a ton of anxiety every day. This new job will be paying more and seems like a better environment, and it’ll also give me exposure to another area of medicine.

I’m just worried about how it would look to adcoms if I switched jobs right after submitting my application. My last two part time jobs in college were also both 8-9 months long since I had to move back home after graduating, but I’m worried it’ll come off as a lack of commitment. Does anyone have advice for how to go about this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

It's a gap year job. If anyone asks, which I doubt they will, just say it was more money and a better work environment (don't get to specific about the toxic part -- you never know when you might be talking to someone's in-law or cousin and end up over-sharing ).

Reactions: 1 users
It's a gap year job. If anyone asks, which I doubt they will, just say it was more money and a better work environment (don't get to specific about the toxic part -- you never know when you might be talking to someone's in-law or cousin and end up over-sharing ).
Thank you so much! Yeah I’m definitely not planning on bad mouthing my current job at all, probably just that it offered me more money and it gave me the opportunity to explore another specialty.

Reactions: 1 users
Clinics and hospitals are desperate as many seem to be short staffed. Inflation is going up and job hiring is still hot as positions are increasing their hourly rates and places are not doing enough to retain good talent. Do what you need to do.