switching into nuclear medicine residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chigrl08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking to switching residency fields. I am in pediatrics and it is not quite what I imagined it to be. In looking at what I want out of life, I was considering perhaps switching into Nuclear Medicine but was wondering if anyone could give me advice on if this is possible? I completed my intern year but have been really unhappy and I think it's because it just isn't what I want to be doing.

Board scores are step 1: 196 and step 2: 227. This is the reason why I'm concerned I may not be able to switch. Plus I don't really have any experience other than interest in the field. Any advice or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.:) Would it help if I did really well on step 3 or do you think the step 1 score is just not good enough?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You don't have to worry about not getting in. However, you should have a clear understanding of the field, including job prospects, and some experience to know if you would like it, before investing 3 years in nuc med.

Hi chigrl,

Do not know if you would be interested in finishing peds and then pursuing Radiology, but I would consider this first . If you would be interested in this, check out the ABR website (their are a few programs who want a board-eligible Peds) for a Peds-Radiologist combo.
I am not Rads or Nucs, but was interested in Nucs. It is pretty disheartening talking with many of the Nucs program directors about job opportunities (unless you are solely interested in research).