Switching into Radiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedReap123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a current M4 pretty much done interviewing for Emergency Medicine this cycle who's having second thoughts about my choice and considering potentially switching to Radiology in the future. It's obviously too late for this cycle, but how doable would this be during my EM intern year if I decided for sure that's what I wanted to do? I'm a US MD, 246 step 1 250 step 2. Also, would intern year count as my preliminary year? I understand this sort of switch is not as rare as I once thought, but still trying to get a better picture of how realistic it actually is and what barriers I'd be up against.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I can give you a unique perspective. Not sure how to do it on this forum, but message me privately if that is possible.

I'm a current M4 pretty much done interviewing for Emergency Medicine this cycle who's having second thoughts about my choice and considering potentially switching to Radiology in the future. It's obviously too late for this cycle, but how doable would this be during my EM intern year if I decided for sure that's what I wanted to do? I'm a US MD, 246 step 1 250 step 2. Also, would intern year count as my preliminary year? I understand this sort of switch is not as rare as I once thought, but still trying to get a better picture of how realistic it actually is and what barriers I'd be up against.

Your intern year should count.

You're in a tough spot because to be in the next cycle you pretty much need to tell your PD within a month of starting the residency which will piss everyone off and you need letters from them. You also can't count on scooping up an R1 spot because it's extremely rare (and a contract violation) to bail on your advanced program before it starts.

It is doable to interview during your intern year although you may not be able to go to all the interviews you get. My friend went on interviews during a prelim surgery year and he would literally fly into a city in the morning, interview, then fly home that night to be at work the next day. You will definitely be using your vacation days to interview.

Do you have any demonstrated interest in Radiology (research, electives, case reports)?

It is realistic to make the switch but you likely won't get a spot at a desirable program.

I am in a similar predicament this year and looking for guidance on how to approach EM to DR. What did you end up doing? Are you open to chatting, would you mind DMing me? Searching for any advice. Thank you.