switching jobs as new attending, looking for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littleasian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone. long time lurker. i'm a recent residency grad currently working in a major metropolitan area for a small private democratic group. probably been there about 2 months now. money is decent, always double/triple coverage with all the consultants you could ask for and people are super nice. only problem thing is i'm paid as an IC so i get no benefits and have to rely on my CPA to help with taxes.

i recently got approached by a recruiter for major medical group where i currently do per diem about going full time. pay is about the same but you're classified more as an employee and get nice benefits including full medical/dental/vision insurance + 401k. hours will probably be able the same. the people here are also awesome and its little less busy in terms of volume and acuity.

i'm really torn if i should switch or not. i've been in discussions with my SO and she's supporting me whatever i do. what is kinda weighing on my mind is president of my small democratic group is getting up in age, and there are rumors he's going to sell soon. i have no idea what's going to happen after that happens. there is a pseudo-partner track in that group that after 5 years you can participate in profit sharing and a a voting right, but its not a true partnership. the new medical group has a designated partnership track after 3 years.

can any of the more seasoned physicians here shed some advice? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You are in this game for yourself. Pick the option where you'll be happier and/or make more money. The only reason to stay in a job that pays less is if you are happier there (and enough so that you are willing to give up the pay difference). You don't owe anyone anything unless you signed a contract and shouldn't hesitate to switch jobs if there is a better opportunity available.

I was in a similar situation. I made a spreadsheet with the total compensation for each group including benefits. Then I added this up over the course of a career. I also figured out what the compensation per patient was worth. In the end, the initial new-attending hourly was higher at the first job, but the compensation per patient, total compensation over the career, added benefits of the second job blew the first out of the water. The answer was clear so I switched. The work is easier, I'm not exhausted after a shift, and my commute is less. It was a great decision.

First off your current group doesn't sound like a small democratic group. A 5 year partnership track with no voting rights? That's not really democratic. A president who can opt to sell the group without the groups permission is also not a democratic set up. I also wouldn't label one job as an SDG and the other not. Break it down financially to compare apples to apples and do what's best for you.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users