switching jobs mid pregnancy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Childdoconeday

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am pregnant with my second child, and would like to leave my job for numerous reasons. Intellectually, i know it's not the right time to make such a big switch due to losing benefits including maternity leave, good insurance, stability, etc., but i am entertaining the idea of switching more and more as i am significantly stressed and unhappy (i have been unhappy for a while but stayed at this job due to lifestyle benefits).

I am contemplating switching from working within a hospital to a group private practice. As ive been in the hospital setting since internship, I am wondering what would happen to my clients while I am out on maternity leave? If I do end up deciding to work for a group practice, do the other colleagues tend to pick up the clients? Or would i need to find a way for them to be covered?

Again, im not sure if i am going to be leaving. I have a lot of thinking to do. Stay at this job (unhappily) for 7 more months or take the leap? Before I make a decision, i just want to be educated and know what to expect.

Would love to hear from anyone who changed jobs during their pregnancy as well!

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't change jobs during pregnancy, but I avoided pursuing a job further after looking into the institution's maternity leave policies.

As for the group practice situation, your questions would best be answered by someone who can speak for the practice. The practice arrangement (eg, would you be an employee or an independent practitioner who just shares costs/space, etc.) determines some of the parameters and the extent to which you get to make your own rules. Ultimately, though, no matter what it is your responsibility to arrange for continuity of care, termination, or other appropriate transitions for your patients during your leave.

Out of curiosity, have you talked with your supervisor(s) about the reasons you are unhappy and ask for changes that would make your work life more tolerable?

I haven't changed jobs during pregnancy, but I do have experience being pregnant while working in a group private practice (independent contractor). I can just speak to my experience, but in case it helps, I'll share it. I actually had some pretty serious pregnancy complications, requiring me to be off for an extended time before the birth. I was out about 5 months total. The way I handled it was to have a conversation with the client about whether they wanted to be in treatment during my absence. A surprising large number said that they would be okay until I got back. Some of them returned when I came back, some of them decided that they were doing fine without treatment. If they said that they would be okay until I came back, I gave them the name of a specific colleague in the practice that could see them if they changed their mind or weren't doing well. Others wanted to remain in treatment, so I arranged transfers to other clinicians. This was usually in my practice, but for a few I needed to reach out to clinicians in the community. I told the clients that I would send a letter when I returned and they would be able to return to seeing me or they could remain with their new therapist. Some came back, some did not.

I do think it was easier to be on maternity leave for me because I had support from other psychologists in my practice. I also had a pretty stable caseload. These are things that might be harder to get if you are just starting in the practice. I will say that it was miserable to be without an income for 5 months. If I were an employee somewhere I could have been paid for at least some of the time off.

Good luck in your decision-making and with your pregnancy.