Aug 6, 2015
13
1
Hello everyone,

I have not posted on here in quite some time. For those of you that may look at my prior history, I made it through my difficult times and finished my neurology residency as well as the fellowship at the same institution as things improved dramatically. My question is regarding the first attending job that I took out of fellowship. For a little bit of context, I was constantly back-and-forth regarding staying academic or going to private practice for almost 3 months. My institution I trained at really wanted to keep me but I also had a large loan burden so considered private practice. At the time, I thought I had done quite a bit of research and spoke to my colleagues regarding how to make this decision. Now that I have started with about 2-3 weeks into it, I am beginning to realize that I may have not made the right decision. There are several obvious things about the job that are not ideal to me but I thought I could deal with it and have realized I’d rather not.

I was told by several people to at least wait three months before making a decision which is fine by me. My contract also stipulates the 90 days notice. My question is how soon is it too soon to make this sort of decision? Of course I will tread lightly and try to find the best alternative job for me. The non compete is limited so I should be ok there as well as I would be looking well outside the area. Please let me know your thoughts and advice!
 

deathmerchant

5+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2013
185
104
New York City
Status
Attending Physician
Hello everyone,

I have not posted on here in quite some time. For those of you that may look at my prior history, I made it through my difficult times and finished my neurology residency as well as the fellowship at the same institution as things improved dramatically. My question is regarding the first attending job that I took out of fellowship. For a little bit of context, I was constantly back-and-forth regarding staying academic or going to private practice for almost 3 months. My institution I trained at really wanted to keep me but I also had a large loan burden so considered private practice. At the time, I thought I had done quite a bit of research and spoke to my colleagues regarding how to make this decision. Now that I have started with about 2-3 weeks into it, I am beginning to realize that I may have not made the right decision. There are several obvious things about the job that are not ideal to me but I thought I could deal with it and have realized I’d rather not.

I was told by several people to at least wait three months before making a decision which is fine by me. My contract also stipulates the 90 days notice. My question is how soon is it too soon to make this sort of decision? Of course I will tread lightly and try to find the best alternative job for me. The non compete is limited so I should be ok there as well as I would be looking well outside the area. Please let me know your thoughts and advice!
I usually don't look at prior history (didn't even know everyone could!); but now I know, Thanks!

Anyway, seems like in the past you have had issues at the beginning of residency and in a new place but after a while you seemed to have done well. May be its the same here, you get anxious and nervous in new and unpredictable situations but once familiar you'll be fine..

So for you I would recommend waiting at least 3-6 months, may be even until June/July 2020. That will give you enough time and also give time to the hospital to recruit a replacement (because most people start new jobs in August).
Or if it is one or two minor issues, you can try talking to someone about changing those.

On the other hand, if you are sure you won't like it and it is nothing like what happened to you in the past; 90 days is good enough.
 
OP
A
Aug 6, 2015
13
1
I usually don't look at prior history (didn't even know everyone could!); but now I know, Thanks!

Anyway, seems like in the past you have had issues at the beginning of residency and in a new place but after a while you seemed to have done well. May be its the same here, you get anxious and nervous in new and unpredictable situations but once familiar you'll be fine..

So for you I would recommend waiting at least 3-6 months, may be even until June/July 2020. That will give you enough time and also give time to the hospital to recruit a replacement (because most people start new jobs in August).
Or if it is one or two minor issues, you can try talking to someone about changing those.

On the other hand, if you are sure you won't like it and it is nothing like what happened to you in the past; 90 days is good enough.
I think you have a valid point in comparing the two but this definitely feels a lot different than back then. I’ve been great for personal happiness and motivation standpoint. I just think that the job duties and expectations might not be what I had envisioned it would be. I will deathly try to give it at least 3 to 6 months before I make a decision. By that I mean I’m not ready to quit tomorrow because I hate it that much. there are many things I dislike about it but it is tolerable. I guess my concern would be to not make a decision without really having given it a chance.
 

neglect

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2003
8,838
2,641
CT
Visit site
Status
Hello everyone,

I have not posted on here in quite some time. For those of you that may look at my prior history, I made it through my difficult times and finished my neurology residency as well as the fellowship at the same institution as things improved dramatically. My question is regarding the first attending job that I took out of fellowship. For a little bit of context, I was constantly back-and-forth regarding staying academic or going to private practice for almost 3 months. My institution I trained at really wanted to keep me but I also had a large loan burden so considered private practice. At the time, I thought I had done quite a bit of research and spoke to my colleagues regarding how to make this decision. Now that I have started with about 2-3 weeks into it, I am beginning to realize that I may have not made the right decision. There are several obvious things about the job that are not ideal to me but I thought I could deal with it and have realized I’d rather not.

I was told by several people to at least wait three months before making a decision which is fine by me. My contract also stipulates the 90 days notice. My question is how soon is it too soon to make this sort of decision? Of course I will tread lightly and try to find the best alternative job for me. The non compete is limited so I should be ok there as well as I would be looking well outside the area. Please let me know your thoughts and advice!
About one year into the private practice job I've had for over a decade, which I like because I got to build something unique, I applied at an academic place. I realized that it was mostly like the job I was going to be leaving. You have to ask yourself: what's the difference, exactly? You see patients, there's misery, there are good days, there are awesome solutions, there are tragic outcomes. Try to do what's best for yourself. But don't change the externalities when there's an internal problem.

Big role changes are different: take a role outside clinical medicine if you're burnt and don't want to see patients.