Switching jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neurodo2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have not posted on here in quite some time. For those of you that may look at my prior history, I made it through my difficult times and finished my neurology residency as well as the fellowship at the same institution as things improved dramatically. My question is regarding the first attending job that I took out of fellowship. For a little bit of context, I was constantly back-and-forth regarding staying academic or going to private practice for almost 3 months. My institution I trained at really wanted to keep me but I also had a large loan burden so considered private practice. At the time, I thought I had done quite a bit of research and spoke to my colleagues regarding how to make this decision. Now that I have started with about 2-3 weeks into it, I am beginning to realize that I may have not made the right decision. There are several obvious things about the job that are not ideal to me but I thought I could deal with it and have realized I’d rather not.

I was told by several people to at least wait three months before making a decision which is fine by me. My contract also stipulates the 90 days notice. My question is how soon is it too soon to make this sort of decision? Of course I will tread lightly and try to find the best alternative job for me. The non compete is limited so I should be ok there as well as I would be looking well outside the area. Please let me know your thoughts and advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I have not posted on here in quite some time. For those of you that may look at my prior history, I made it through my difficult times and finished my neurology residency as well as the fellowship at the same institution as things improved dramatically. My question is regarding the first attending job that I took out of fellowship. For a little bit of context, I was constantly back-and-forth regarding staying academic or going to private practice for almost 3 months. My institution I trained at really wanted to keep me but I also had a large loan burden so considered private practice. At the time, I thought I had done quite a bit of research and spoke to my colleagues regarding how to make this decision. Now that I have started with about 2-3 weeks into it, I am beginning to realize that I may have not made the right decision. There are several obvious things about the job that are not ideal to me but I thought I could deal with it and have realized I’d rather not.

I was told by several people to at least wait three months before making a decision which is fine by me. My contract also stipulates the 90 days notice. My question is how soon is it too soon to make this sort of decision? Of course I will tread lightly and try to find the best alternative job for me. The non compete is limited so I should be ok there as well as I would be looking well outside the area. Please let me know your thoughts and advice!

I usually don't look at prior history (didn't even know everyone could!); but now I know, Thanks!

Anyway, seems like in the past you have had issues at the beginning of residency and in a new place but after a while you seemed to have done well. May be its the same here, you get anxious and nervous in new and unpredictable situations but once familiar you'll be fine..

So for you I would recommend waiting at least 3-6 months, may be even until June/July 2020. That will give you enough time and also give time to the hospital to recruit a replacement (because most people start new jobs in August).
Or if it is one or two minor issues, you can try talking to someone about changing those.

On the other hand, if you are sure you won't like it and it is nothing like what happened to you in the past; 90 days is good enough.

I usually don't look at prior history (didn't even know everyone could!); but now I know, Thanks!

Anyway, seems like in the past you have had issues at the beginning of residency and in a new place but after a while you seemed to have done well. May be its the same here, you get anxious and nervous in new and unpredictable situations but once familiar you'll be fine..

So for you I would recommend waiting at least 3-6 months, may be even until June/July 2020. That will give you enough time and also give time to the hospital to recruit a replacement (because most people start new jobs in August).
Or if it is one or two minor issues, you can try talking to someone about changing those.

On the other hand, if you are sure you won't like it and it is nothing like what happened to you in the past; 90 days is good enough.

I think you have a valid point in comparing the two but this definitely feels a lot different than back then. I’ve been great for personal happiness and motivation standpoint. I just think that the job duties and expectations might not be what I had envisioned it would be. I will deathly try to give it at least 3 to 6 months before I make a decision. By that I mean I’m not ready to quit tomorrow because I hate it that much. there are many things I dislike about it but it is tolerable. I guess my concern would be to not make a decision without really having given it a chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

About one year into the private practice job I've had for over a decade, which I like because I got to build something unique, I applied at an academic place. I realized that it was mostly like the job I was going to be leaving. You have to ask yourself: what's the difference, exactly? You see patients, there's misery, there are good days, there are awesome solutions, there are tragic outcomes. Try to do what's best for yourself. But don't change the externalities when there's an internal problem.

Big role changes are different: take a role outside clinical medicine if you're burnt and don't want to see patients.

About one year into the private practice job I've had for over a decade, which I like because I got to build something unique, I applied at an academic place. I realized that it was mostly like the job I was going to be leaving. You have to ask yourself: what's the difference, exactly? You see patients, there's misery, there are good days, there are awesome solutions, there are tragic outcomes. Try to do what's best for yourself. But don't change the externalities when there's an internal problem.

Big role changes are different: take a role outside clinical medicine if you're burnt and don't want to see patients.

Thank you for the response and advice. I am about 3 months in and finding many different things about the job that are not what I expected as well as things of out of my control where the job will get harder going forward (1 of the 5 partners is leaving the practice). Not to mention the administrators already on my case to reduce my new/follow up clinic times to increase volume. My ideal situation would be to go back to the academic center where I trained as before I took this job, the decision was between taking the job I'm currently in or at the academic center where I trained. The two biggest things for me are the long commute (1 hour each way) and not being able to practice my subspecialty area.

I have had ongoing discussions with them and there is mutual interest in me going back but I also don't want to be in a situation where I would leave too early or put any red flags on my resume. I already told them I would not think of switching until summer 2020.

Thank you for the response and advice. I am about 3 months in and finding many different things about the job that are not what I expected as well as things of out of my control where the job will get harder going forward (1 of the 5 partners is leaving the practice). Not to mention the administrators already on my case to reduce my new/follow up clinic times to increase volume. My ideal situation would be to go back to the academic center where I trained as before I took this job, the decision was between taking the job I'm currently in or at the academic center where I trained. The two biggest things for me are the long commute (1 hour each way) and not being able to practice my subspecialty area.

I have had ongoing discussions with them and there is mutual interest in me going back but I also don't want to be in a situation where I would leave too early or put any red flags on my resume. I already told them I would not think of switching until summer 2020.

I've also come to realize that a great deal of misery among doctors is that they are employees, not owners. Employed physicians have admin bosses. But to be an owner/partner, you've got to work hard and do things that are business related. Many see academics as a third path: you perhaps don't have to work as hard and you don't really have a boss, but you are basically disallowed from doing things that are business related.

I've also come to realize that a great deal of misery among doctors is that they are employees, not owners. Employed physicians have admin bosses. But to be an owner/partner, you've got to work hard and do things that are business related. Many see academics as a third path: you perhaps don't have to work as hard and you don't really have a boss, but you are basically disallowed from doing things that are business related.

Couldn't have said it any better. Patient access and satisfaction is all they seem to care about regardless of how it affects the person helping to deliver the care.

I think at this point, I would be happier choosing the third path to allow for a little less stressful job and be ok with having to sacrifice the opportunity to not be involved as much from the business aspect.