Switching labs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rubbercleat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a situation where I was forced to leave a lab because of lack of funding and the PI leaving. Since, I have taken another lab job, but I am unhappy and frustrated with it. An instructor from my previous lab recently contacted me saying that she has received a large grant and is "reopening" the lab; she asked me if I wanted to come back. I really want to go back, but I am not sure how to approach the situation with my present lab. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Put in your 2 weeks or whatever and do it courteously. There will always be more students to fill your spot.

You have to be in the place where you will be more successful and happy.

You won't do anything in a lab you don't really like, I've been there before.

Agree with the above. They don't really need you that much so the worst you could get is a sneer. However, more likely I think they'll understand...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm semi-new to the whole two weeks thing. Do I need to give a reason or can I just say I'm leaving in two weeks.

If I had to give reasons they would be something like: job is not interesting or I have more responsibility at my other job...

I don't really want to trample on any toes; maybe I will just have too minimally.

I'm semi-new to the whole two weeks thing. Do I need to give a reason or can I just say I'm leaving in two weeks.

If I had to give reasons they would be something like: job is not interesting or I have more responsibility at my other job...

I don't really want to trample on any toes; maybe I will just have too minimally.

I suppose you could give a reason - but I don't think you absolutely need to. That being said, I would put in something generic like "While I appreciate the experience I've gained in your lab, I have realized that there are other opportunities that are better suited to my talents and interests..."

Please don't tell your current PI you're leaving because you find their lab boring. Academia is a vicious place sometimes, and things get around. Just tell them the truth... an old lab you worked for has reopened, and they asked you to come back. This was unexpected, or you never would have started in their lab. You feel your contribution to science could be greater in a lab where you are already trained.