Switching OUT of a 6 year program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caramel334

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a senior in high school, so please just let me kno if this is stupid, or not possible::
I got into a 6 year pharmacy program in philadelphia, which i really want to go to, but the problem is that it is kinda pricey and its far- my parents want me closer to home. My choices right now are either USP or the University of Maryland-College Park. However, I wanted to finish up with pharmacy in 6 years, and i kno that there is no way college park is going to let me do that (I asked).
So could go to USP and stay in the program for 2 years (the pre-pharm) and then apply/transfer to the Pharmacy School in Maryland? Since im a resident, the price is half of what i would be paying at USP..
SO basically my question is:
1) Is it possible to do this?
2) How realisitic is this? Is maryland a hard pharmacy school to get into? what are their requirements in terms of PCAT scores, gpa, extracurriculars...

I only have abt a week before i have to mail my decision in, so any feedback on this would be great! And please let me know is this whole idea is idiotic lol.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally feel that cost should not be a huge deciding factor when we are talking about something like pharm school. The reason is that it's so competitive, and choices are fairly limited (you might apply to 10 and get into only 1) so you need to realize that it's going to be costly no matter what. And by the time you are paying for the education you'll be earning a six figure income anyway so you should be ok.

Personally I understand that it's hard to be away from your parents for the first time but realize that this is something that just happens in life. And it's not like you are moving away for no point, you are going to school to be a pharmacist and they should be proud of that. And proud that you got into a 0-6 program, I've heard those are really hard to get into! If you do decide to go with something else I would advise to make your choice ASAP so that the next person waiting on the list can have their chance. BUT I would really think hard about passing that up. As far as I'm aware you only have one shot at the 0-6 program. Once you have college credits (as far as I'm aware) you then aren't eligible for the 0-6 anymore. I could be wrong but again, look at the program and it's guidelines itself. Have you talked to your parents about this? That might help you if you haven't done that yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stay. You are guaranteed a spot in Pharmacy shcool coming out of high school, and a Pharm D is 6 years! Cost wise, that is what student loans are for. Don't worry about that. Being far from parents, Don't know what to say about that. if you get homesick easy, it could be a problem. If its more on your parents end then yours, well you will have to move out someday, it just may be earlier then they hoped..

hope this helps

Pennsylvania is not all that far from Maryland. If you were moving to Missouri, for example, I would agree that it's far. But distance is relative. I left my country in 2004, and I haven't seen my parents since then. You're about 2 hours from home. If you get homesick you can always visit.

Talk to your parents, but make your own decision. If you are sure that you want to be a pharmacist, then just go to USP. Your parents may not like it, but they can't stop you.

would the program let you switch out?

Are you even sure this is an option. From what ive heard, most pharm schools do not allow you to "transfer" in to their programs. You have to start where everyone else does. So, 2 years pre-pharm is good only if you are sure you will finish all pre reqs needed, and then actually get in again.
Also, if money is a factor, completing the program in 6 years will allow you to start working the fastest, and pay back any loans.
And if you move away for 2 years, you are prob not going to care if you move back or not. So if you move to USP, youll prob want to just stay there instead of move back to go to the other school.
Id stay in the 6 years program for sure, as long as pharm is for sure what you wan to do.

I don't think paharmacy school let you transfer in and out easily. My advice would be for you to go to Maryland, because Transferring later might be a big problem.

USP is also like $35k in the beginning with dorming and it goes up in the 3rd year to $38k the tuition goes up $3k and in the 6th year it goes up to $39k for tution alone so with dorming about $50k.

I don't think paharmacy school let you transfer in and out easily. My advice would be for you to go to Maryland, because Transferring later might be a big problem.

USP is also like $35k in the beginning with dorming and it goes up in the 3rd year to $38k the tuition goes up $3k and in the 6th year it goes up to $39k for tution alone so with dorming about $50k.

may i ask you why transferring is a big problem?
do you mean financially or academically or both?

may i ask you why transferring is a big problem?
do you mean financially or academically or both?

Your 0-6 loses big money because your spot becomes empty for the next 4 years. Even if they fill it with an outside transfer that process costs money too. Every empty seat is an incredible waste of resources. Plus, if you live in Penn for a year you will gain residency there meaning you will no longer be a Maryland resident if you try to go back. Stay in your program unless there is some underlaying issue i.e. parent have cancer and may not be around that long. Otherwise, if you leave you WILL regret it.

call the school and ask if u can switch out

well i was worried more about the financial aspect of it. Whether i go to umd, or usp, im going to be dorming. so for me, it really doesnt make a difference if if dorm 30 miles away or 300 miles away.
But i was thinking of going to USP for the first 2 years so that i KNOW that i can get all the pre-reqs in, and then try to transfer to the pharmacy school in maryland. This way, if i dont get in, i still have USP to fall back on. I called USP, and they said i could do it, I just wanted to kno how realistic this idea really is. Because yea, i get out 2 years earlier and make money, but its all going to be going toward paying student loans off.
btw, does anyone kno how many ppl finish their pre reqs in 2 years at UMCP or any public university and then actually get into pharmacy school w/o a B.S.? bc i think thats what im leaning towards right now, and i want to make my decision asap so that if i dont go to usp, the next person on the waiting list can have it.

ps. thanks for all ur feedback, its reallyy helpful!

It seems like you are sure you want to do pharmacy.

Just go to USP and forget about going to Maryland-Baltimore.

If you go to Maryland-College Park you will be taking your prereqs with the pre-med students.

Just go to USP, and finish the 6 years.

I think a very easy decision. Just forget about Maryland-College Park or Maryland-Baltimore pharmacy school.

My cousin went to UMCP and got into the pharmacy schol w/o a B.S. He wasn't an original pharm major either.

Also, I have alot of friends who went to Rutgers university as a non pharm major and actually got into other pharm programs like UMCP, LIU etc.

Hope my input was helpful.....

My cousin went to UMCP and got into the pharmacy schol w/o a B.S. He wasn't an original pharm major either.

Also, I have alot of friends who went to Rutgers university as a non pharm major and actually got into other pharm programs like UMCP, LIU etc.

Hope my input was helpful.....

Do u know what ur cousin's gpa was (or what it was around) and what his pcat scores were?
thankss for the help btw :)

sorry for taking so long. I was on vacation in GA.

My cousin's GPA was around a 3.4 or 3.5. I don't know the pcat score. Sorry.

I think everybody knows the answer: STAY!!! Please, just stay. Trust everyone here, don't leave. Transferring is extremely difficult.