switching out to anesth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Painter1

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i applied to anesth and em, and ended up matching to my backup, em.

step 1 is in the high 220s, step 2 in the high 230s. no research, no extracurrics. one average anesth letter. decent med school.

i've had a couple encounters with anesth while in my intern year so far, and i become melancholic!

i'm thinking of reapplying and applying more broadly this my intern year. if i were to get a spot, thing is, what the hell do i do during the year off? not sure who would hire me for a year with one year of residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Painter1 said:
i applied to anesth and em, and ended up matching to my backup, em.

step 1 is in the high 220s, step 2 in the high 230s. no research, no extracurrics. one average anesth letter. decent med school.

i've had a couple encounters with anesth while in my intern year so far, and i become melancholic!

i'm thinking of reapplying and applying more broadly this my intern year. if i were to get a spot, thing is, what the hell do i do during the year off? not sure who would hire me for a year with one year of residency.

Apply outside of the match by contacting programs directly by phone or e-mail. You may be able to secure a PGY-2/CA-1 spot for the fall of 2007. Given your good step scores, I don't think you will have a problem finding a spot, although finding one in the area you want may be a little difficult. Failing that, you can also apply concurrently through the match. Just be sure this is what you want to do as you don't want to burn your bridges with your current department.

Make sure you have good letter writers for your LOR's as they will probably be examined more closely on a candidate switching out to anesthesiology.

UTSouthwestern said:
Apply outside of the match by contacting programs directly by phone or e-mail. You may be able to secure a PGY-2/CA-1 spot for the fall of 2007. Given your good step scores, I don't think you will have a problem finding a spot, although finding one in the area you want may be a little difficult. Failing that, you can also apply concurrently through the match. Just be sure this is what you want to do as you don't want to burn your bridges with your current department.

Make sure you have good letter writers for your LOR's as they will probably be examined more closely on a candidate switching out to anesthesiology.

thanx for the advice. when do you think it would be a good idea to start emailing programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply through ERAS now. Get good letters from your internship. Good letters are more important than having anesthesia letters. In addition to applying through ERAS, send a CV and cover letter to every anesthesia program you could possibly be interested in. Get the addresses from FREIDA and use Word to generate the personalized form letters. I think there's a good chance you could get a 2007 spot if you start right now. You could send out 100 letters for under $45. You'll also need to discuss this with your PD.