Switching program after match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shishir

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I matched at one of the categorical IM positions. Due to my family situation, I approached the local hospital which has only a FP residency. How would I best switch the programs without violating any rules. Has anybody done this succesfully. Could you please share your experience or is it too late in this game?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a legitimate situation that you were unaware of before the Match, and the second program is willing to take you (I personally would like to see it in writing first), then I believe it can be done. I do recall there were positions after the Match and after the first Scramble because of unusual family circumstances. But in fairness to the program to which you matched, and if you are certain this switching must be done, explain to the program you matched in, your circumstances allowing them some lead time to replace you. It's only fair.

Good luck.

Hello Shishir,

Mine was a similar situation So I didnot sign the contract to the categorical IM program I matched with and accepted a transitional year program at a local hospital. But I immediately informed the PD that I will not be joining the program.He was ver nice and undersatanding.

But I learned from another similar post that it might cause trouble in future to me if I want to register with NRMP in future. Next year I may have to find a second year position or go through the match process again.

But if you got straight three years of FP, I don't think it should cause any be problem for you.

Good luck

You are in violation of the rules if you refuse to accept a matched position and accept another one outside of the match. However, this is rarely (as I understand it) enforced as long as you have the "permission" of the program you matched to. This is generally obtained by being honest with them and early so that they can find another person to accept the position - given that the match was nearly 2 months ago, I'd say you're getting close to shafting them if they cannot find another person to fill your spot.

If you have a "done deal" with the local FP program (ie, something in writing) approach your IM PD ASAP and try and make things as smooth as possible.

Best of luck.