Switching Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tubatu111

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting undergrad, I had no particular passions directing my course of studies. I was an average student my freshman year. During the start of sophomore year, I had experienced a medical crisis which devastated my academic performance. I took time off to get better and during that time re-evaluated whether or not it was worth it to go back to school. In this reflective time, I was introduced to medicine and how fulfilling it could be.

Unfortunately, long story short, I never felt it was in the cards for me being how low my GPA was. Taking stock of my situation and competitiveness I decided to compromise with optometry. I went back to school and took my 1.80 cGPA back to 2.95 as a Biochem major (virtually 3.8-4.0 back to back semesters for 4 years) along with a 3.8 scienceGPA.

I was accepted into optometry school and attended for 2 quarters. With a different perspective, I felt early on that it was not the best for me and strongly regretted not having fought harder for medical school. During the 2nd quarter the same medical condition popped its head up and I struggled academically failing my anatomy course. I went before an SPC panel and petitioned for a leave of absence to get better.

Since leaving, I have also been using the time off to reflect on whether or not to maybe change course. I have started studying for the MCAT for the past month and feel I could perform very high. However, this is such a risky decision with so many unknowns. Is there anyone who feels that have meaningful advice on the matter, particularly if you have been in the same situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Perform and we'll see. MCAT is a big obstacle, doing well opens doors.

You need to get that medical condition you have under control.

Reactions: 1 user