Switching Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brohambra19

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to start a categorical program this June however in light of some new developments in my life, I would like to jump into a NY residency program...how is the best way to go about it? What do you feel is the likelihood of making this kind of jump?

Members don't see this ad.

I am going to start a categorical program this June however in light of some new developments in my life, I would like to jump into a NY residency program...how is the best way to go about it? What do you feel is the likelihood of making this kind of jump?

Did you (or are you) finish(ing) your internship? If so, you might have a chance. But, it's pretty late in the game to be thinking about swtiching programs at this point because the spots are filled. Probably will have to tough it out for a year in the program you're supposed to be starting in.

If you can find a spot available in NY in the area you want to go, you should call the PD at that program tomorrow and see if they are willing to take someone else starting in July. I would explain your situation and do this before you tell the program you matched into. If you get lucky and someone is willing to offer you a spot, then I would call the PD at the program you matched into and discuss the situation. This is the way I would do it. This is also the way one of my friends switched out of FP into EM at the last minute before even starting residency.

The admirable way of doing things would be to call the PD of the program you matched into first. Explain tactfully to him/her your situation, and that you can't see yourself being focused in your training because of "xyz" if you come there. Be extremely apologetic and contrite. You can ask them for help. The only problem with this tactic is that it might backfire, and then you've marked yourself in that program as someone who doesn't really want to be there... people pick up on this quickly... you are under a microscope in residency... often "suggestion" and "innuendo" predominate over someone's skill and knowledge.

You just better have a good reason for doing this. For example, one of the dudes who switched to another program from mine did so because his wife was threatening to divorce him if she was forced to stay in this area for another two years. (Of course, I would have said "take a hike" myself... part of a marriage is taking the good with the bad.) But, he was able to switch and did so with our department's blessing. He went to a far crappier program, I might add, in a different city that was nearer to her family. On parting, I didn't say goodbye to him. I said goodbye to his testicles.

Just remember that part of the Match contract is that you agree by ranking a program that you will train there. There must be extenuating circumstances to break that contract, not just preference. However, PD's don't want a trainee who's going to be miserable and/or bring the entire morale of a program down. So, they usually are willing to turn the other cheek when a resident wants to leave. And, fortunately for now, Gas spots are pretty easy to fill. There's usually a long list of people waiting for that spot of yours if/when you decide to leave.

Good luck.

-copro

thanks for the response, copro...i haven't started my internship year yet, but i was thinking of trying to make the jump after the internship year into an open ca-1 position...

how do you find out about open ca-1 positions outside of the match...is there a list that i can refer to that shows what programs take applicants outside of match and/or how many positions are open (in ny)?