Switching residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwaway9595951

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I love anesthesia, but am getting more disappointed with my program every day.

Is switching residencies even an option? From what I've heard, it only really happens when people move for family reasons. Is this fantasy even worth thinking about?

Ideally I would like to stay on the West Coast but would consider moving if that were the price of better training.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Please expound on what disappoints you with your program, and (also very important) what year are you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Suck it up. Switching means risking making the pain go on longer!

It is possible but the possibility is not high.

What are you gonna tell the program you are switching to? You hate your current program. By the time you got a spot you would be graduating.

My advice: find whats good in your program and focus on those things. Its only 2 more years max

Reactions: 1 user
I think this is very wise of you. If you hate it now, just wait until you're done and it's magnitudes worse. Anesthesiology is dying a rapid death; not worth being miserable the rest of your life.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I think this is very wise of you. If you hate it now, just wait until you're done and it's magnitudes worse. Anesthesiology is dying a rapid death; not worth being miserable the rest of your life.

I believe the OP meant switching to another anesthesia program, not a different field.

In response to OP, I have heard of people using the website ResidentSwap but don't know anyone personally who has done so...I've known a handful of residents who have transferred to another position (in the same field) in the past year or so, but I cannot imagine it's a very easy or pleasant process. It would definitely be easier if you're leaving a big program (as in many residents) and going to another big program. And I wouldn't suggest to your current program or prospective program that you are unhappy because your training has been poor.

Good luck.

It's easy. Just blame your wife. Say she wants to move because __________. If you're not married, find someone with family in the city you want to move to, marry her, and say you need to move cause she needs to be near family. It'll work better if you get her pregnant too cause pregnant women love to be near family.

Reactions: 1 users
It's easy. Just blame your wife. Say she wants to move because __________. If you're not married, find someone with family in the city you want to move to, marry her, and say you need to move cause she needs to be near family. It'll work better if you get her pregnant too cause pregnant women love to be near family.
Wow

As someone who matches Anesthesia in 7 days; whenever I read one of Consigliere's posts it makes me feel like I'm going to be a worthless POS. Stahp.

Bravo. I would rank this one right up there with the following excerpt from the radiology forum.

"Anecdotally, I've spoke with the fellows at my program and all have found employment. I don't know them well enough to ask if it was their first choice or is a perfect job, but I can tell you the type of work they found. Our IR fellow (who already completed a neuro fellowship) landed a job in a very desirable west coast city. He will be required to do the bulk of procedures, cover all imaging except breast, and take an unfavorable call schedule for his first year. Apparently the pay is pretty good and he will partner in 2-3 years. Our body fellow will be heading to the rural midwest for a job with a starting salary much higher than the previous fellow, will cover all imaging, do less procedures, and call is split evenly in his group. One of our other MSK fellows couldn't find work in their desired location and will be doing locums work as a scribe in the ED (he doesn't want to lose his dictaphone skills.) Three of our neuro fellows were also not able to find desired jobs and will be working as fluffers on an upcoming adult film (I'm told it's very tasteful and appeals to a high brow crowd.) Our final, and most celebrated fellow, is blind. We will keep her on as faculty and continue lying to her, as we have led her to believe she is a pioneer in PACS braille. Her dictations are amusing and our attendings love citing her to burn first years, "Even the blind fellow spotted that finding!" We are truly awful people."

Anyone who doubts this statement has obviously never been married.

Reactions: 1 user
That's awesome. The blind radiologist reminds me of Chapelle's blind black white supremacist.