switching residency program before starting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newtosdn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you sure they would be open to taking you? If you ranked that program 1st and they have one open spot, unfortunately that means they chose not to rank you.

Regardless, I don't think what you're suggesting is likely (or ethical).

I actually met the associate PD today, I know him because I did observerships there. He said they had ranked me pretty high. I dont know what to make of it since I didnt match there. But he has asked me to keep in touch for off cycle vacancies. He was the one who told me about the spot that is about to open up. I am just thinking if I could get this particular spot before starting my internship.

The only possible explanations if that program went unfilled and you ranked it #1 are a) they didn't rank you or b) they held spots out of the match.

The only way is to apply for a Match Waiver, which you almost certainly will NOT be granted since your family situation was forseeable before you submitted a rank list. Match Waivers are granted in the cases of specialty changes, or unforeseen family emergencies (sick/dying parents, sick/dying spouse, occasionally a pregnancy in a long-distance relationship).

If you quit on your program you will be labeled a Match Violator which would preclude you from taking place in future fellowship matches. Additionally, I am not sure if you have enough time for the new program to file the visa sponsorship paperwork on your behalf (and of course your matched program will have already paid for that on your behalf).

Are you certain your husband cannot find a job in your new area? Is it a reasonably large metro area?

I am going to start on a J1 visa. He is looking for jobs, but it is actually a small town. Also, he needs a job that offers H1, which is hard to find in that specific area. You mentioned specialty change. The position that has opened up is IM while I have matched into Neuro. Does this qualify for a waiver?
Thanks for your input.
This may be your best hook. "I had a change of heart in desired specialty and really want to be an internist now." It's not going to be automatic and it will likely fail. But you don't have much to lose.

Pretty harsh to deny on those grounds before residency even begins, with time to fill the resulting vacancy before july

I mean would you want the resident who clearly will be unhappy for 4 years

Why does a match violation even matter if its categorical, sure fellowship but thats not a guaranteed path and they are usually hard to fill anyway. 4 years down the line for these reasons who would care.

Whatever you do get a signed contract before decomitting to the place, lawyer up to look at the details too

Pretty harsh to deny on those grounds before residency even begins, with time to fill the resulting vacancy before july

I mean would you want the resident who clearly will be unhappy for 4 years

Why does a match violation even matter if its categorical, sure fellowship but thats not a guaranteed path and they are usually hard to fill anyway. 4 years down the line for these reasons who would care.

Whatever you do get a signed contract before decomitting to the place, lawyer up to look at the details too
Match violations matter because the program who signs you gets in trouble too.

Thank you all for your input. I will join my program on time and give my husband until September to find a job there.
If he doesn't, then I might start looking for vacant positions or reapply through ERAS. That way I would not be breaking any rules.

Reactions: 1 user