switching residency programs-

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Juice, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Juice

Juice Junior Member

Hey,
    I was in a prelim internship on the west coast and switched mid year to an east coast program due to a family illness. I will have completed 12 full months this year, 4 on the west and 8 on the east. I am looking into jumping into a PCY-2 anesthesia spot this July, and was wondering if anyone knows if this change will affect my chances. I know anesthesia requires a full year of prelim, which I have completed, just at 2 different programs. Any advice??? Thanks.

Juice

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Magree

Magree Senior Member

Hi:

If you completed a whole year then I can't imagine the fact that you did it at two programs would mean you didn't meet the requirements. As to having to switch programs - it seems like that happens more frequently than most people realize. Besides, it sounds like you had a good reason. If I were you I'd contact the PDs of some anesthesia programs in which your interested and explain your situation. They are the best source of info. Hope this helps.

M-

4. navs

navs Member

Hi,

I don't think there should be any problems at all, just the usual question about why, which u have a good reason for.

I would get cracking on finding a position starting this July though. I know a surg. res. who is switching to anesth. and when he called progams at the end of last yr. found few places still looking.

Good luck.