Switching specializations or degree status within schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Veera

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you already in MPH programs (or those who have looked into this): how easy is it to switch your specialization (such as Social and Behavioral Sciences to Health Policy and Management) once you are enrolled?

And what about switching degree status in midstream? (such as changing from an MPH to an MS [such as at UCLA], not in cases where one requires different background of applicants -- or doing one year of an MPH, and then applying to be a doctoral student (not where the MPH is a prereq))

Obviously, it is best for someone to apply to and start in the program and specialization that they want to do and will likely stick with - but I am just wondering about the flexibility that is usually available at various schools (and wondering how set in stone the choice of application I make now might be!)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Veera said:
For those of you already in MPH programs (or those who have looked into this): how easy is it to switch your specialization (such as Social and Behavioral Sciences to Health Policy and Management) once you are enrolled?

And what about switching degree status in midstream? (such as changing from an MPH to an MS [such as at UCLA], not in cases where one requires different background of applicants -- or doing one year of an MPH, and then applying to be a doctoral student (not where the MPH is a prereq))

Obviously, it is best for someone to apply to and start in the program and specialization that they want to do and will likely stick with - but I am just wondering about the flexibility that is usually available at various schools (and wondering how set in stone the choice of application I make now might be!)

Thanks!

I think it's pretty easy to switch specializations here ... I know a few folks that were torn between health policy and international health. I think the biggest barrier is time ... if your too far along in your program.