Any Public health degree to help a DPT branch out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChairSpin

Reaction score
As the title of the thread asks, is there anybody who is/was a physical therapist end up getting a public health degree to kind of branch out into different things?

Any suggestions from anybody who knows someone who did anything like this?

Members don't see this ad.

An MPH is a great public health degree for anyone who already has a professional healthcare-related degree and interested in public health who wants to branch out. It is so versatile! Depending on the program, you can earn the degree fairly quickly, too. I'm an MD, and got an MPH during my residency. I use concepts I learned while getting my MPH on a daily basis. Highly recommended.

I got mine at Johns Hopkins, and I really liked it there. I can't really speak to any other programs from personal experience.

An MPH is a great public health degree for anyone who already has a professional healthcare-related degree and interested in public health who wants to branch out. It is so versatile! Depending on the program, you can earn the degree fairly quickly, too. I'm an MD, and got an MPH during my residency. I use concepts I learned while getting my MPH on a daily basis. Highly recommended.

I got mine at Johns Hopkins, and I really liked it there. I can't really speak to any other programs from personal experience.
what kind of opportunities pop up for example? or what can one do with the mph? Im trying to find some guidance into this.

Also, as a physician how does this help you? do you get to go on overseas trips to work on things?

I wouldn't say it causes opportunities to pop up; rather, it broadens your capabilities and the skill set you can do with your clinical degree. In medicine, for example, I rarely come across job ads that require an MPH in addition to an MD. But there are many that indicate they prefer an MPH, or you can tell from the job description that an MPH would be helpful (because it requires the use of epidemiological principles or other public health concepts, for example).

Most of my work is administrative, rather than clinical, so the MPH mostly helps me think about medical and health issues from a population viewpoint. Biostatistics and epi concepts come up frequently when reviewing data and drawing conclusions.