holymoses

10+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2005
Status
Anyone out there have any experience in switching from one residency specialty to another? Prior to match list time, I was wavering between going into family practice or an internal medicine specialty. I went with family practice. Now I'm wondering if I made the right choice... if I want to switch into internal medicine after my first year of residency, will I get credit for the year of f.p. I put in, or will I have to repeat the year?
Thanks for reading....

GeneGoddess

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2004
Status
I know someone who switched from FP to Pedi. She didn't get any credit for her year of FP. I also know someone who is switching from Surgery to Anes, and she isn't getting any credit either. Just my experience.

PTP

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2003
Visit site
Status
holymoses said:
Anyone out there have any experience in switching from one residency specialty to another? Prior to match list time, I was wavering between going into family practice or an internal medicine specialty. I went with family practice. Now I'm wondering if I made the right choice... if I want to switch into internal medicine after my first year of residency, will I get credit for the year of f.p. I put in, or will I have to repeat the year?
Thanks for reading....
Not speaking from experience but, if you switch from FP to IM you will get only credit for ward months, at most 4-6 months out of the 1st year if your lucky. No credit for any peds, ob/gyn, FP clinic or surgery months.