Switching Specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyeh8bullies

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I matched categorical General Surgery. Unfortunately, I have doubts all this time, and it finally hit me that the surgery lifestyle is not for me (I thought I could handle it). (I know I'm dumb, please spare me the harassment, I feel bad already). I had a rads rotation that I did after I submitted my list, and I absolutely loved it, so Im thinking applying to rads as a PGY1.

What are my chances of landing radiology spot in a big city (+500k). My stats are 23X/25X Step 1/2. My class rank is low and I am a DO. Do I have a shot or should I include a backup specialty like FM? I don't know what the stats are for DO grads... Please advise!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I matched categorical General Surgery. Unfortunately, I have doubts all this time, and it finally hit me that the surgery lifestyle is not for me (I thought I could handle it). (I know I'm dumb, please spare me the harassment, I feel bad already). I had a rads rotation that I did after I submitted my list, and I absolutely loved it, so Im thinking applying to rads as a PGY1.

What are my chances of landing radiology spot in a big city (+500k). My stats are 23X/25X Step 1/2. My class rank is low and I am a DO. Do I have a shot or should I include a backup specialty like FM? I don't know what the stats are for DO grads... Please advise!
As a DO,You should be thankful you got cat GS.
You will have to at least show up for the first 45 days...

You should at least see if GS can work for you...if its still not for you talk to your PD .

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

Are you sure this isn't just apprehension of starting training? There was something that pulled you towards general surgery to lead you down this path.

As far as lifestyle, once you are an attending, you can really make it what you want. You can be busy, you can be more relaxed. You can specialize towards certain surgeries and away from others.

I would give surgery a try before you say you want to move to radiology. You might realize you like it. If you do leave and go to something else, just realize you're never going to have a chance to go back...

Although it can be done, the logistics are complicated. You posted this same question on several threads (which is not good). On another thread, you've already mentioned that your matched institution doesn't have a rads program, which would have been your best option. You can absolutely try to get a rads spot next year in the match, the problem is getting time to interview. Internship is a job, you can't just take time off to go on 10+ interviews. Surgical internship years are not known for their flexibility. The match happens in March, and you might be asked to sign a PGY-2 contract prior to match day -- your program will need to refill your position which isn't a huge problem as there are zillions of prelim GS interns who will want a PGY-2, but the earlier your program refills your spot the better candidate they will get. Also, once you tell your program that you're doing this they may pull you out of the OR completely.

Reactions: 2 users
Please don't post the same thread in multiple forums. Those wishing to answer the OP's question may do so here: Reapplying for Radiology as a DO

My $0.02 is that you can't do anything until 45 days into your new residency anyways, so you may as well give surgery a fair shot. If you truly find yourself miserable and feel you've made a mistake, then you can look into whether there are other options out there. But as aPD said, it is going to be extremely difficult to carve out time for radiology interviews during intern year, particularly if you don't have the backing of a home radiology program at your new institution. As you know, you need to look closely at the list of current residents at rads programs to see if it looks like they take DOs.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.