Switching to CA-1 - What's considered a good Number of Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blesseddr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that 10 or a little more interviews are considered good for a PGY-1 position for anesthesiology but I am in a different situation and wanted to get some feedback from anyone who is switching or has switched to a CA-1 position.

I am in my 2nd year of surgery and have 6 interviews for a CA-1 2009 position, most, if not all are Outside the Match. I am trying to determine how comfortable or not I should be - is six considered good, medium, or not good? I imagine that I should not expect as many interviews as I would for a First Year position but wondering what others' experience has been.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know that 10 or a little more interviews are considered good for a PGY-1 position for anesthesiology but I am in a different situation and wanted to get some feedback from anyone who is switching or has switched to a CA-1 position.

I am in my 2nd year of surgery and have 6 interviews for a CA-1 2009 position, most, if not all are Outside the Match. I am trying to determine how comfortable or not I should be - is six considered good, medium, or not good? I imagine that I should not expect as many interviews as I would for a First Year position but wondering what others' experience has been.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I had a different pathway through the military but went outside of the ERAS system as well. Usually programs will prescreen everyone for outside the match spots and only offer interviews to those they are hoping to accept. I say hoping b/c in the end it is the program trying to recruit you. At least thats how it feels going outside the match.

If all goes well with the interview then they will likely offer you a position that very day with a contract and all. I actually was kinda uncomfortable when presented with the contract so abruptly. So you need to think about where you really want to be and find a nice way to tell them you want to think things through.

Ideally, a program will interview you and tell you they want to accept you but give you a few weeks to let them know. Other programs will demand you sign a contract now.(I was leary of those programs)

I think you are going to find yourself in a better position than you think. So I would think if you are happy with the locations of the interviews you already have and there isnt another program you really want to go look at then 6 is plenty.

I had 5/6 of my interviews and although I felt they went very well, I have not heard back... I don't know when I should be expecting to hear back from them.