Switching to EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a second-year surgical resident interested in switching to EM. I haven't really started on ERAS, but am poised to (trying to find time between 90 hour weeks). I'm wondering if anyone has done this or knows what program directors think of those crossing over. Do two years of surgical training excite PDs?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The question is not so much whether the surgical years will be an asset, but rather why you are leaving your program. If you were successful in your training but after gaining some experience in surgery and doing some soul searching realized that you were meant to do something different, this will be seen as a positive light. If you are purely looking for an escape route with fewer hours, this will not be looked upon favorably. You should do some soul searching and be prepared to address this both in your personal statement and your interviews.

Goldie, Why are you thinking about switching from surgery to E-med? I am a 4th year student who thought I wanted to go into surgery, just finished my E-med rotation and really enjoyed, and am now trying to decide between the two. Your thoughts/advice would be appreciated. thanks.

I switched last year. PM me if you want more information.
Good luck.