Switching to EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BillyWitchDoctr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's the deal...I am one of those people who figured out what they want to be late in med school. For me, I fell in love with EM during my rotation in March of 4th year. By this time I had already matched into IM. I would love to switch to emergency medicine after my intern year but I'm not sure the best way to do this. The hospital that I work in does not have an EM residency either so I'm not sure how I would get LORs. Does anyone here have any advice or experience with switching residencies? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

The "easiest" way would be to match into a 2-4 program this Spring. The 2-4 programs require 1 year of transitional or IM.

The harder way would be to transfer into a 1-4 or a 1-3 program. You would get credit for 6 months of training maximum, assuming you completed a whole year of IM.

I'd recommending looking for a place that has an open PGY-1 spot and see if they will take you at the end of the year.

I recommend telling your current PD as soon as you're sure you want to make a switch. You will never get a spot in a different residency without getting approval from your current PD and being in good standing with your current program.